Any idea what this tool is?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Casey3, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Casey3

Casey3 Member

Hi folks,

I am a project assistant with the Museum of the Cariboo Chilcotin in Williams Lake, BC. I am currently working on a project in which I am accessioning items that are off-site and using PastPerfect to archive them. Unfortunately, many items have not been properly accessioned or labeled and figuring out the names or uses is nearly impossible. I am joining this site to share some of the photos I take of these items in hopes some of you out there can help me with names.

This first item was discovered in a pile of fire place accessories, but we have no idea what it is exactly. Here are a few photos of the item -- let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance! IMG_6532.JPG

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

A drain cleaner?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Does turning the handle on the left side move the pieces on the right side in any way? Like open and close?

How long it the piece in full? It really doesn't look like anything I would associate with fireplace accessories.

i need help likes this.
  4. santiques

santiques Active Member

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  6. santiques

santiques Active Member

what is in the link are the modern type (its is the lower part attached to turning machine/drill)

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Casey. Something for cleaning out a flue?

i need help likes this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I was thinking a pipe cleaning tool, perhaps for the flange of a toilet?, but difficult to guess how big it is?

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  9. Phil F.

Phil F. Active Member

I was going to say a stove pipe cleaner, but more like something to clean out a drain pipe. It looks kind of strong... I could use something like that to clean out calcium build up in a shower drain lol.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

It has a lot of similarity to a bearing/pulley puller. But, that long crank handle?

Maybe a one-off tool for a very hard to reach spot. :bag:

bearing-puller-500x500.jpg

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  11. Hi. I sold tools for 25 years. It's a cylinder hone, to make the inside of holes smooth and a certain diameter, useful to auto mechanics, etc. Now, they are chucked into a drill. Then, it was turned manually. Now, they also have replaceable stone ends of different grits. Google cylinder hone and you will see many kinds.

Draft saved Draft deleted