any idea of the origins of this

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mariyan perera, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Mariyan perera

Mariyan perera Well-Known Member

Here i have attached a pic of a coffee grinder any idea of its origins? 797473_b_4a64b667578e58a8028be849be4e833d.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Dutch, no question about it.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree with it being Dutch. The Japanese ones have the vanes on the windmill as being pointed.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  5. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Agree!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Mariyan perera

Mariyan perera Well-Known Member

hey thanks a lot guys. by the way why are you guys so sure it is dutch?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The tag at the top is for a Netherlands company.

KingofThings and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Joshua Brown

Actually I have a tile with the same Windmill pattern that is made in Germany, but I also have a Modern (50's) pot that also has the same pattern made by a Dutch Company; so actually I'm not sure, I had forgot about the tile.:sorry:

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I think there is ONE windmill pattern in the universe, only the background changes. I have them in the Dutch, German, Danish and Japanese "patterns":

MVC-266S.JPG

MVC-267S.JPG

MVC-265S.JPG

MVC-263S.JPG

MVC-263S.JPG

MVC-261S.JPG

MVC-259S.JPG

Attached Files:

10. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is the De Ve logo for the Dutch 'De Vecht' factory.

Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Aquitaine and Joshua Brown like this.
  12. Joshua Brown

13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  14. Mansons2005

Johnny - Thanks!

That "console" as you so kindly termed it, is actually one of those trendy, flimsy wire shelf units from the late 1970s. The glass shelves were broken, so I cut the legs off, turned it on its side, put it up on the ledge over the opening out of the dining room and slapped some under and over sized glass shelves from something else on it.

And of course, my OCD said that EVERYTHING with a windmill theme, or a blue & white theme (not fond of blue as a rule) has to be displayed HERE.

There are a few pieces of "good Gouda" Delft up there. The little houses on the top shelf are bottles of jenever that were gifty's from flying first class on a Dutch airline.

judy likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I recognised those KLM jenever houses, and used to have those little 'scheepjes', ship tiles, as well, they are lovely. Scheepjes have always been my favourite in Dutch tiles.

KingofThings and judy like this.
  16. Mansons2005

Since this stuff is so far up, near the 14 foot ceiling, I hardly ever remember what is up there - I had to go look and see which/what you were referring to! If memory serves, they used to come in a little plastic case with chocolates of the same size, and KLM handed the out in Business or Economy class. That was back when KLM HAD three classes - They ended Royal Class about 15-20 years ago......:(:(

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Yes, I thought it was with chocolates. They also had tiny tiles, probably skimping on things in that inimitable Dutch way.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Mansons2005

That's how copper wire was invented - they tossed a penny between two Dutchmen;)

That stereotypical joke was related to me by a Dutchman, so I do not feel incorrect retelling it...............sorry if it offends anyone...........

KingofThings likes this.
  19. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

AH HA!!!!!!!!
    EXCELLENT!!!!!! :wideyed::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

20. Any Jewelry

It doesn't. Dutch like these jokes. This one was started by the Belgians, in fact. Dutch jokes about Belgians are similar to British jokes about the Irish. Just returning the favour in a neighbourly fashion.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted