Any idea about this small tureen/serving plate? English 19th century?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Shaun Steed, Sep 26, 2023.

1. Shaun Steed

Shaun Steed New Member

https://imgur.com/a/nMjkPvn

Please use link above to view more.photos. they were considered too big to post here.

Any idea of the age of this.Is it a small tureen without a lid? Or is it a serving plate?Measures 9 inches across from end of handles. 3 inches high from base.Unmarked on base. Is it intentional crackleware or just crazing from age? Bought in the UK. It's transferware by the looks of it. Any ideas of age, maker, ? Regards
    19th century I would say.

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello Shaun. You can embed all of the pictures you loaded to the Gallery by using the little camera icon (Embed Media) and you'll get larger pictures in your posts.

I doubt the crackle was intentional. I would call this transferware instead.

Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

You can grab the direct links to individual images in your imgur gallery, too (using the image icon in the post toolbar):

[​IMG]

komokwa likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That poor thing has been thru the wars,hasnt it ? It would have most likely sat on a serving plate. As small as it is Id guess its for maybe sauce or gravy.

5. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

It's a sauce dish, it would have had a lid, probably with a slot for a spoon to rest in. c1890 ish by the decoration. Could be French or English, I don't recognize the pattern and no makers mark makes it difficult to ID. But, given condition and missing lid, its only value is as a decorative shabby piece, and no one searching by pattern will be interested anyway. Some people like the crazing, tea staining, cracks, etc, but it will be valued for how it looks, not its usability or to complete a set.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted