Any Hermes textile experts?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Mario, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I have this Hermes scarf that I have a couple of questions on. What does the J on the bottom right stand for, and why can't I find one with the same decorations. It measures 34"x34". and is it authentic? h1.jpg h2.jpg

Attached Files:

• h3.jpg
      h3.jpg
      File size:
      564.5 KB
      Views:
    • h5.jpg
      h5.jpg
      File size:
      653.6 KB
      Views:
    • h6.jpg
      h6.jpg
      File size:
      707.8 KB
      Views:
    • h7.jpg
      h7.jpg
      File size:
      670.3 KB
      Views:
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Mario -

I am NOT an Hermès scarf authenticator, by any means. I know just enough about the scarves to be dangerous (i.e. I have several that I haven't worn in at least 25 years - haven't even looked at them in ages - and some lucky soul will be pleasantly surprised when checking out my lingerie chest drawers after I'm gone!)*

That said, I have questions/concerns about this one. Please understand that I may be totally off base, but here goes:

Just so you know, the name of the design on your scarf is Feux d'Artifice (Fireworks). The designer was Michel-Duchene.

My first concern is that Feux d'Artifice was a 1987 design, specifically made for Hermès' 150th anniversary in 1987. As far as I know, it was never reproduced, yet yours has a date of 1990 on it. (In addition, an "anniversary" scarf dated 1837-1990 strikes me as rather odd.)

Despite the several photos you've provided, I simply can't see the detail on the scarf, so here are a few questions:

Does the word HERMÈS have the accent grave - the backwards or downward "e" accent mark: È - above the 2nd "E"? Even with upper case letters AND on the black background, you should be able to tell. It should be there.

Elsewhere on the scarf, near one of the edges, is there an Hèrmes copyright mark: either “©HERMÈS” or “Hermès ©"?

Is there a separate fabric tag on the back of the scarf, and if so, what does it say?

How is the hem of the scarf finished? The hems on Hèrmes scarves are always hand rolled & hand sewn. The fabric should be neatly rolled to the front and hand sewn with thread that very closely matches the scarf fabric itself.

Oh, also: is the name of the designer, Michel-Duchene, on there anywhere?

Finally, as for the "J", I honestly don't know. Maybe it's something "new" since I last knew anything about Hèrmes scarves. (I'm sure someone else will know!)

all the best,
    -C-

* Ooooo... I just remembered that the lingerie chest also contains a pile of gorgeous silk "nothings" from Janet Reger, London (Knightsbridge?) c.1978 and on into the 1980's. Oh, my!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

At a quick glance, one looks for quality fabric of a decent weight and a hand-rolled/stitched hem. And, sorry to say but your scarf has neither. The fabric appears to be flimsy and the hem machine stitched. Here's a helpful HERMES resource for identifying HERMEs scarves in the future.

http://piwigo.hermesscarf.com

Debora

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted