Featured Any guesses on this lamp-age,origin,maker ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Sep 24, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's a 13" tall table lamp.It's made of brass (bronze ?). I'm not sure it was ever gas or oil,maybe always been electrified. The globular pictorial section (w/ the bird & flowers) is either ceramic or enameled metal.The images have raised outlines (moriage ?) & seem at least partially hand painted & gilded.
    Any info or ideas are as always greatly appreciated-thanks.
    PS-Hope I put this in the right category.Couldn't figure btw Furniture,Metal,etc.

Lamp1.jpg Lamp5.jpg Lamp4.jpg Lamp6.jpg Lamp7.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    KylieS, silverbell, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The base/body looks Japanese and late 19th or early 20th century. The top/burner looks European, roughly the same period. Possibly someone importing the bases at the period and adding local parts, or a later adaptation. Probably oil originally. The top plate with the gadrooning looks like an oil lamp foot from the late Victorian/Edwardian period.

Figtree3, komokwa, wlwhittier and 5 others like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Have you taken it apart? There's a chance the ceramic is marked.

komokwa, KSW and Bakersgma like this.
  4. bosko69

Ce BCA- The lamp originally being oil sounds logical,it seems spot-on for the transition period from oil to electric.Yes,def a mash-up,Western gadrooning & gothic mantle/chimney holder.
    MOS-It needs to be disassembled to check for marks.The only marks are on the base underside are-'P.E.G.' and '60.'
    PS-Are the gold wispy sections on the lamp body produced w/ a metallic powder ?
    Thanks very much for the help.

komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There is a Japanese lacquer technique for applying gold dust called Maki-e. This could be that technique, or based on it.

Figtree3, komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The black disk in pic 4 has a pair of 'extra' holes in it, suggesting a prior life not associated with your lamp, bosco.
    It all does appear a marriage of sorts, however long ago.
    The colors, overall an' in detail, are quite evocative...it is a lovely piece of work, worthy of envy...Thanks!

Figtree3 and silverbell like this.
  7. bosko69

Thanks Whit,that means a lot knowing how much fine stuff you've seen.I'm anxious to take it apart & peruse it w/ a loupe.
    When I first saw it I immediately thought of the movie 'Chinatown' or a well-appointed opium den.

wlwhittier and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted