Any guesses on how old this is?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Grandmasattic, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Grandmasattic

Grandmasattic Active Member

PXL_20221205_163517566.jpg PXL_20221205_163527908.MP.jpg PXL_20221205_163521259.jpg PXL_20221205_163530123.jpg PXL_20221205_163532852.jpg I have this old shallow wooden bowl that feels great in my hands, I like this one a lot. It feels pretty old, although I am not sure when it is from. I feel like it's probably antique. Anyone know anything about this? Is this treated wood? About 12 inches across

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Old enough to be worn smooth on the inner floor, and the bottom face. Lotsa grub has sustained many folks outta that bowl! I'll bet it's appealing in the hand, Granny...very nice Treen!

Grandmasattic and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Your detail photos are good, but I can't see the general shape of the bowl, other than the first photo. I would like to see the whole bowl from the side, so we can see the profile.

The damage on the bottom(?) looks like the type of insect damage I have seen on older African objects that have been left outside - no longer in use.

What I can see of the bowl reminds me of carved wooden bowls from Ethiopia:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Eth...HZhlBekQjJkEegQIDBAC&biw=1585&bih=755&dpr=0.8

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. Grandmasattic

Grandmasattic Active Member

Thank you for the response! My bowl does look like some of those. This is the best photo I have on hand for a side view of the shape, but I can take more next time I am at the storage unit
    PXL_20221205_175828664.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    antidiem likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've seen Eastern European dough bowls like that.

6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

What a wonderful, long page full of some really magnificent wooden bowls! Thanks!!

2manybooks and Grandmasattic like this.
  7. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

I won’t be of help, sorry, just here to admire. This isn’t my sort of thing at all and yet I’m drawn to it & so damned intrigued! What a wonderful, handsome, utilitarian piece - thanks for sharing :pompous:

Grandmasattic and wlwhittier like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted