Any Drummers Here? Found 1960's Ludwig snare with 5 digit keystone badge

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 17, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this 1960's Ludwig snare drum a bit back but never got to it - until last night. Then I found that it might be rare for 2 reasons
    1st) It only has 5 digits on it's badge
    2nd) It measures 14" x 6" - the ones I've found were either 14" x 5" or 14" x 6.5"

Is it as rare as I think for the 5 digit serial number?
    Is it rare/unusual for it's dimensions (14" x 6")?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated - being a picker is either feast or famine & last week-end's garage sale was terrible; it's famine time & I need to sell this!

Thank you in advance!
    PS - Why do they call the badge 'Keystone'? Makes me think of the Keystone Kops movies!
    PSS - The ones I saw were mostly polished & look great - how hard is it to clean this up? (I'm thinking of just taking it to a music shop & have someone there do it depending on the cost?)

MUSIC DRUM LUDWIG 6AAZZ.JPG MUSIC DRUM LUDWIG 1A_A_AAAZZ.JPG MUSIC DRUM LUDWIG 1AAZZ.JPG MUSIC DRUM LUDWIG 2AAZZ.JPG MUSIC DRUM LUDWIG 2AAAZZ.JPG MUSIC DRUM LUDWIG 3AAZZ.JPG MUSIC DRUM LUDWIG 4AAZZ.JPG

bercrystal likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Don't know anything about drums. The badge is called keystone because it is shaped like the piece of stone that would be used to finish an architectural arch - the final piece that makes the arch functional.

journeymagazine likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

So if you pulled that piece out it would all come down like jenga?!

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A keystone logo often means "made in Pennsylvania" aka the Keystone State. Not in this case. Too bad my friend Shawn can't see this post; he's a drummer.

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about Ludwig brand drums to help, but I believe I've seen a vintage Ludwig drum group on Facebook.

7. journeymagazine

Will check - thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted