Any cinnabar experts in the house ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Walter901, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Walter901

Walter901 Member

I picked up this small vase the other day. As i'm quite new to the chinese technique of lacquer and cinnebar i was wondering if somebody can help me determine the age of it or if there are any tricks I can do to give an estimate ? What i've seen the jar it'self is of copper. As it's turning a bit blue on the top its definitely not fresh out of the shop. The vase does not have any marks. Also I do not see any bubbles or holes as seen on molds. The vase is quite dark red. In some pictures it shows up more as an orange but I think this is because of the camera/light. Any help is useful ! Thanks ! IMG_20191031_103436.jpg IMG_20191031_103458.jpg IMG_20191031_103524.jpg IMG_20191031_103355.jpg

komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Those square patterns in the third picture make me think it was carved by an NC machine and everything seems to have exactly the same thickness. Not an expert so best to wait for them to show up.
    Cheers
    Stephen

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it is a piece of cinnabar, hand carved to a degree and of average 20thc export quality. Looks like it got a bit wet up top tho ...

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Numerically controlled lathe. It looked to me like it was cut out using one and hand finished. But I'm no expert.:bag:

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted