Any basket forums out there ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AntTedII, Feb 12, 2023.

1. AntTedII

AntTedII New Member

I've been looking for a forum that deals with baskets .
    The only one I kinda found was this women who sells and everthing but couldn't find a forum ! I have the basket below .
    Thanks, Ted

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Welcome, @AntTedII.

We do baskets here. However, we will need some better photographs. Identifying the material is one of the first steps in identifying baskets, and your single photo is a little blurry. It looks like it is probably made of willow, in the European "stake and strand" tradition. But better photos would be helpful. Can you please take some closeups, so we can see the surface characteristics, a photo of the bottom of the basket, so we can see how the weaver started, as well as a few of the sides and rim so we can see construction.

When you post your photos, please select "full size" rather than thumb nail. It makes it easier for us to see.

3. 2manybooks

(Sorry - my post duplicated itself)

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@2manybooks, this site, aside from being slow, has been having duplicating glitches lately as well.....hoping someone can get it figured out one of these days!!!! It's driving a bunch of us crazy!!!! Well, crazier than normal!!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy:

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

farming basket, come laundry basket..........low value....but a hard worker !!

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Which is why I am on thumbnail strike. It takes long enough to show an entire thread, without having to wait half an hour or so to open a thumbnail. If it opens at all.:rolleyes:
    :wacky::hilarious:

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  8. AntTedII

AntTedII New Member

New camera, hopefully better pictures.
    Any info would be grateful ! BasketL.jpg BasketL.jpg BasketL2.jpg BasketL1.jpg

9. 2manybooks

The new photos are helpful. I can now see that the material used is peeled rattan. You can recognize rattan by the cross section, which shows an even porosity (not the rings and pith that appear in wood elements such as willow), the very even diameter along the length of each element, the linear striations, and occasional nodes similar to bamboo. (You can recognize willow by its tapering diameter along the length of an element, and leaf scars.)

Rattan is a product of a variety of related climbing palms, native to southeast Asia. It is a common material in Asian basketry, and has been imported for use in western basketry and furniture since the mid 19th century.

As I said earlier, the technique used in your basket is in the European "stake and strand" tradition of wicker basketry. Certain details suggest it was made by an English/European (or possibly American) weaver well versed in commercial production weaving methods - the series of stout "wales" around the base of the basket, and the bindings around the top border - working with imported rattan. But it is difficult to be sure about the origin of a basic work basket since the technique and materials have become widespread.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  10. AntTedII

AntTedII New Member

Thanks for all this detailed information . But does this basket have any value ? Or is it just another run of the mill laundry basket ?
    Thanks !

11. 2manybooks

Sorry, we are not a (free) valuation service. But once we have provided information on an object's identification you can search sold items on ebay to see what similar items have sold for. In this case, your basket is a nice example of a common type that has been made in the thousands over many years. It will have decorative value, not collectable value.

BoudiccaJones, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  12. AntTedII

AntTedII New Member

Thank you !

2manybooks likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

better than run of the mill.
    it looks like it was well made to carry a heavy load...and the condition looks good from here.....
    I respect it....and whom ever made it !

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted