Any Banjo Players?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tauriel, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

Does anyone here play banjo? I found this fantastic A.C.Fairbanks 1908-9 Whyte Laydie #2 5 string banjo today at a TS for $1...I shi...p you not! I found the replacement parts but am trying to figure out what kind of strings would be the best to restring this with. Any advice appreciated!
    IMG_9535 copy.jpg IMG_9541 copy.jpg IMG_9542 copy.jpg IMG_9538 copy.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

From http://hschwartz.com/FairbanksBanjos/WhyteLaydie.html

"The necks of the Whyte Laydie and the Fairbanks banjos that followed were considerably stouter than the Electric necks. This was probably done to accomodate the steel strings which were becoming popular at that time. The earlier ivory pegs and tailpiece used on the higher grade banjos also gave way to the steel pegs and tailpiece better suited to the steel strings."

So...steel strings?

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

If YOU don't play, why would you string it?

There is often old Black Diamond strings cheap on ebay

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

A fair sized music store will not only sell you the strings but will string it for you.

Stringing it will make it easier to sell. I'd put a hefty price on it and try to sell it locally first. I don't know how to safely ship a banjo without a hard shell case.

It's a beautiful find, I'm shocked that a thrift only charged a dollar, there's likely some back story to this. May you will never know why! ;)

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. antidiem

p.s. I would not put metal strings on this one.

6. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

Hi anti :) Terry, I do play some guitar, uke a little piano, and noodle around on a few more instruments, but I haven't picked up a banjo in over 30 years :) I know these were mostly strung with gut strings but this was made right at the time steel strings were coming into fashion, steel strings put much more tension on the neck, so if steel strings were used they should be light gauge,...also this high end and collectible a banjo I think deserves a good set of strings as well as an original replacement tailpiece. Every thing on it (sans head) is original and matching. I have a few friends who play in different bands and am waiting on a call back. I know how to string it up, but def need help on tuning the head. This is a very sought after banjo and in very good condition, the stained pear wood peg head veneer is almost always very damaged, this one is in very good shape even with the few hairline cracks. the selling prices are anywhere from $4,500.00 - $850.00 depending on condition. It is always best to have it complete,clean and strung so it can be played. That way you can tell where the action is, as well as how well it plays as you go up the neck. I am certainly interested in those details when buying instruments. I was hoping if I might get some first hand knowledge about the strings :) I have shipped many instruments, not having the case makes it a bit more time consuming but not at all a problem. And Anti I too was SHOCKED as well! I always find small stuff at this store but this is the first real GREAT find :)

antidiem and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

The biggest problem I see with setting it up to play is, I will start playing it and will not want to sell it :rolleyes: :joyful:

8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I do play banjo, on a 4-string tuned in the Irish manner (like an octave mandolin).
    Light-gauge steel strings should be OK on this nice banjo; and it is generally quite easy to adjust the action (string height) on a banjo, so putting strings and a bridge and tailpiece on would definitely be a good idea.
    A professional could help you get the bridge in the right place as well as selecting a bridge of the correct height (if you measure the distance from nut to twelfth fret, the bridge should be about twice that distance from the nut, as on a guitar.) The bridge height and action are inter-related, so a typical process is to try a bridge, see how the action looks, then either choose a different bridge or adjust the neck angle to change the string height. Repeat until everything is set up correctly.
    Tuning the head is also something you might want help with, but there are some pretty good sites online with good advice on that subject. You can get a general idea by seeing how far the bridge sinks when strung and tuned up; the head should be depressed a bit, but not too much. But you certainly don't want to damage the head, so having someone who knows their stuff help you would be wise. Not all music stores will know how to do this. That said, if the head does get damaged, a replacement head will not affect value much if at all, and replacement skin heads are generally pretty available, though finding the right size could be a pain.
    I have sold and shipped a banjo, without a hard case (sent from the US to Ireland); I'd listed as US/Canada only, but was contacted by a nice gentleman in Ireland who really wanted an American instrument.
    Banjos are pretty sturdy, but as with any semi-fragile item, a good layer of bubble wrap, then an oversized box, perhaps lined with some solid Styrofoam to help defeat punctures, and plastic peanuts will do the trick. Shipping from me to Ireland came to $75 US.
    I've bought two banjos on ebay, and both arrived to me in fine shape, packed in that way.

9. Salvatorparadise

Salvatorparadise Active Member

i would have a knowledgeable stringed instrument technician look this over before stringing it just to make sure you're not missing any issues that could cause a break. Tuned strings put a very large force on an instrument, and with something this rare and valuable it's best to have it inspected first

antidiem and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I know little if anything about banjos, but if it were me I'd get it into the hands of someone who knows old instruments and then into a specialized auction.

11. antidiem

Not me. I'd keep it forever and play with it!!!

Oh yeah!!!!!!!! :)

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's beautiful....and MUST have a nice voice !

String it and play it.....or put it in the hands of someone who will !

Antidiem....maybe ??

Heeheehee !!!!!!!!

antidiem likes this.
  13. antidiem

OH YES!!!

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!

(I reminded myself of the restaurant scene with Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally"!) haha!

..But,, I'm not faking it!!
    *blushes*

komokwa likes this.
  14. tandkpaxton

tandkpaxton Member

If I found a banjo bargain like this, I would learn to play.

15. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I agree with Sal on the tention of the strings. If you DO have it strung but let it sit, loosen the strings first. I do it with my guitars. ALso by having it strung,a person who knows how to play it can see if all the fret bars are ok, nothing worse than a low rattling fret bar. ;)

antidiem likes this.
  16. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Just read all_fakes post.................totally agree.Sorry I didn't read before I posted. :p

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted