Any Banjo Pickers Here? Ever Heard of a Arita? Heaviest Banjo Ever?!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Feb 13, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this off a friend for $50 Sat. I already have 3 banjos I haven't got around to selling yet, but this one was pretty - and heavier than any banjo I've ever held before! And it had the biggest, most unusual tuner pegs I've ever seen + a chrome strip of metal on the side of the neck where the 5th string tuner is that I've also never seen - so I bought it.
    And now I'm hoping someone can tell me what I have? MUSIC BANJO ARITA 1AAZZ.jpg
    MUSIC BANJO ARITA 1CAAZZ.jpg MUSIC BANJO ARITA 2AAZZ.jpg MUSIC BANJO ARITA 4DAA SIDE VIEW 1ZZ.jpg MUSIC BANJO ARITA 4DAAA SIDE VIEW 1ZZ.jpg MUSIC BANJO ARITA 4AAZZ.jpg MUSIC BANJO ARITA 4BAAZZ.jpg MUSIC BANJO ARITA 7A-AA BACK VIEWZZ.jpg

MUSIC BANJO ARITA 7A-AAA BACK VIEWZZ.jpg MUSIC BANJO ARITA 8AA BACK BASEZZ.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

Took these inside so you can see the beautiful wood without my flip flops in the reflection!

MUSIC BANJO ARITA 9AACC.jpg MUSIC BANJO ARITA 9AACZZ.jpg MUSIC BANJO ARITA 9AADZZ.jpg MUSIC BANJO ARITA 9AAGZZ.jpg

3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Arita is a town in Japan, so probably Japanese made. Steve will be able to tell us.:)

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

following
    I think you will do well to double your money on it.
    A heavy weight banjo requires a strong player to use it.
    Is that a flat back or a slightly arched back?

judy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Found this:
    "The Arita brand name was owned by the Newark Musical Merchandise Company who distributed Japanese made Arita instruments (usually guitars - but also folk instruments) in the USA during the 1970s and 1980s."
    https://www.guitar-list.com/brands/arita

7. journeymagazine

Also found a Yoshiniro(?) Arita who was a banjo player?

8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I know nothing about banjos other than my niece plays one and the movie Deliverance! Is that a little white paint on the back? My cousin taught me a little trick you might gently try. She use to use a plastic spoon or her fingernail to gently scrape paint of of finished wood.

journeymagazine likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I don't think there is a link.

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

AJ seems to have tracked down the company, though not a name I'm familiar with; 80's seems about right.
    The metal strip would be for a 5th string capo - a device to change the pitch of the short 5th string without having to retune it. There would have been a metal clip to slide along it, now apparently missing but perhaps replaceable. The Stewart-Macdonald Co. is a good source for banjo parts (Banjo Parts - StewMac) but I don't recall seeing that particular thing.
    The boxy tuners are likely a type of geared tuner; banjo tuners tend to look different than most common guitar tuners.

11. journeymagazine

Thanks all - going to be having a banjo sale at next estate/garage sale!

all_fakes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted