Featured Any antique bottle experts?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Both from a recent church sale. The first one had a note attached (I think former owner purchased from an antique store or booth),label a recent addition with speculative notes about the bottle.

Note describes it as a "Dark olive green (black glass) recessed base with crude numbers". They felt it was "1860" but in the note mentioned that this was at odds with "crown top", so maybe was a combination of eras? Anyway I know ZILCH about bottles, is this anything that would be Ebay worthy?

bottle4.jpg

bottle3.jpg
    bottle9.jpg

Bottle #2 These round bottomed bottles seem to be a dime a dozen on Ebay even though fairly old. Anything special in bottle #2 that might make it worth it listing?

bottleB3.jpg

bottleB88.jpg

bottleb445.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Looks like the dark bottle has a lip ontop for a bottle cap? Bottle caps were invented 1892.

Figtree3, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Thanks, Rayo. That is sort of what the note on the bottle puzzled over. Base looks older, but that top section suggests newer??

I know zilch about bottles, I have $5 invested in this one (which might mean I overpaid...) just curious if it is even worth putting on Ebay. Here is the note that came with it:

bottle.jpg

Thanks, SIS.

Figtree3 and Rayo56 like this.
  5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I collected and had hundreds of mold blown bottles as a teenager. First bottle is an early applied crown top 1890s. The aqua one, also applied top is 1880s. Both are BIM(blown in mold). The automatic bottle machine came in and dominated the industry by 1910. Common, but nice bottles.

Figtree3, Lucille.b and komokwa like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Thank you, Drew. Very helpful. :)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted