Featured Any/All Info Appreciated British Medals

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by reader, Aug 28, 2023.

1. reader

reader Well-Known Member

IMG_1079.jpeg IMG_1080.jpeg IMG_1077.jpeg IMG_1078.jpeg No clue on these and no history. Picked up at a yard sale by my husband who’s decided he doesn’t want them. Before I give them away could you guys let me know if they’re anything significant? TIA.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and reader like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume and reader like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume and reader like this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

TY I think this is beyond me LOL. I may just give them to a friend to list or try the board here. This is so not my area.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pearlsnblume, reader and Debora like this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Need to see the other side of all of them.

The cross is not the military cross but I need to see the reverse.

From the cross left the next 4 are WWII General Service Medal(GSM) then 2 stars which could any of 8 medals, It will say on the front either, France & Germany, 1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Air Crew Europe (Rare and expensive) Africa Star, Pacific Star, Burma Star, Italy Star

The end two maybe from other campaigns and may be silver, they might have the recipients name on the edge.

Better photos of front & reverse in a line and I should be able to tell you what they are and a rough value if sold as one lot.

8. daveydempsey

The silver star maybe The Most Excellent Order of The British Empire.
    These medals do have some value so don't give them away.

9. daveydempsey

The end one on right with the orange, green and white ribbon could be the Indian Independence medal 1947, worth around $50 on its own, its not silver but cupronickel with the recipients name impressed on the edge.

10. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

In the last picture the left one is the MBE (Member of the British Empire), the third from left is the 1939-45 Star, next is the Burma Star, then the Defence Medal, and then the War Medal.
    I would hazard a guess and say the the second from left is a police medal of some sort. Possibly a colonial police force, which might also explain the MBE.

The second left, apperas to be an Indian police gallantry medal, which may have the recipienets name engraved on the edge. So worth researching!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

@daveydempsey, @the blacksmith @Debora @komokwa

Many many thanks for your time. Lord knows I do a lot of research on various things but this got dumped on me and I don’t know what to do with them. I’ll take it apart and will post more pictures. I would like to find it a new home as a lot so will probably just post them here although I’ve never listed anything on this venue. My biggest issues is that I’m US and assume their value is in the UK. I’ve never sold anything internationally.

12. daveydempsey

It's quite simple, just put the appropriate postage costs on it, a customs label, an airmail sticker and take to the post office.
    It can be tracked by you to the point of delivery.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree.

Debora

reader, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

i may have missed some…let me know… IMG_1100.jpeg

17. the blacksmith

The war medals were not engraved with the recipients name, something that after five years of fighting incensed my father so much that he threw his in the rubbish! Possibly, the MBE does have a name on it, though of this I am not certain. The Indian police gallantry medal should be engraved on the edge though.
    First World War medals were engraved with the name, rank, number and regiment or service of the recipient.

18. reader

reader Well-Known Member

TY so much. The knowledge on this board is amazing. I’m proud to contribute in some minimal way when I can!

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

didn't know you knew Medals....... only Metals !!:playful::playful::playful:

I know now !!;)

20. the blacksmith

Well medals are made of metal aren't they! :smuggrin:

When the Victoria Cross was first designed and proposed in 1854-55, the Times called it something like paltry in the extreme. Undoubtedly, they expected something glittery and jewel studded. But the thought all along, probably due to Prince Alberts thinking and influence, was that the medal should be recognised for what it stood for and not what it was worth.
    Medals have always fascinated me Komo, every single one has a story, and for those with the names engraced, a history that can be absolutely fascinating to research.

Draft saved Draft deleted