Antonio Visentini-Venetian engraving

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

2F21E91C-E04E-434E-B18C-36ABB6217DFF.jpeg 6282FDBD-6CE6-43C1-B6EE-7885B7E024F5.jpeg D6B4F77C-2D08-42B0-92D1-CEA305B5DDC9.jpeg 78A1EF94-6058-41C9-96DE-A27E28AECDD6.jpeg 98347FF2-B5ED-4F58-BEC4-DE49CEB1C844.jpeg 4978BCFB-8E4E-4B78-A566-6AC715D5E5C3.jpeg Hi all, your thoughts on this please. The little older label on the front is not something I would obviously trust. Is it a hand coloured 18th century engraving? Or probably a Reprint? The information on the back was good news to me. Ashbeys Galleries is a very old and renowned established auction house. Maxwoods- Framers & Gilders does good quality work. I also found other examples and info on the engraving online. Size is 44x30cm. Thanks for any comments

Figtree3 and wlwhittier like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

7C597327-F0FF-4632-B080-8800AB27C1D6.jpeg C86E45E4-1A7A-4944-8426-CB6DFD8A89DF.jpeg 2ED0B77F-9DF8-4D5A-94D2-E85D17B6B834.jpeg
    Tried to research the auction house inventory number but didn’t find the listing.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I notice that the label on yours says "Ashby's Gallery" instead of "Ashbey's (or Ashbeys) Galleries" -- So it isn't the same company. According to their website, the company was started by Edwin Rivers Ashbey. It's unlikely that they would make the mistake of spelling the name incorrectly on the label. It is probably the label of a different company.

That is a minor detail, though, related to your question. It would be important to do research on the sizes of the original print and of any older versions. It may very well be from the 18th century, for all I know.

The website for Maxwoods says they have been creating picture frames in Cape Town for over 40 years. Doesn't say how much over 40, but that would relate only to the framing. So let's say it was framed around 1980. Since the Ashby's label is attached to the paper on the back of the frame, that label would post-date the framing date.

I do believe your print is much older than 1980! I just don't have the reference works available to guess the age.

2manybooks and Boland like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ha ha.. Well I misread that. A silly stupid mistake from my side. I really appreciate you pointing that out. I will try and find out about this Ashby Gallery.. Hope there’s some info available.

The whole thing has a ‘quality feel’ and some money was definitely spend on the framing (so it’s still good) I will now do some more research. Thanks again for your detailed comment and for taking the time..

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Not finding a probable Ashby’s Gallery so far (but will keep looking) But I think I will also e-mail Maxwoods and give them the reference number. Maybe they have some info.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It appears to have a plate mark, which would indicate it is a printed engraving/etching as opposed to a later lithographic reproduction (or other modern method). A variety of editions appear to have been published, the first being issued in 1735:
    https://www.rct.uk/collection/809031/venetian-views-after-canaletto

According to https://www.sandersofoxford.com/shop/product/pons-rivoalti-ad-orientem/ - "The engravings were first published in 1742 and then re-issued in 1751, 1754 and 1773. It was so successful it was even reprinted in the 19th century." (emphasis added)

So, there is the possibility that it is a 19th century reprint. The early editions I have found are not colored, so I would suspect yours to be a later edition (possibly 19th century). Careful comparisons of dimensions might be informative - but you will need to compare several dimensions with documented examples - image size, plate size, and sheet size.

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Many thanks for the valued comment and the links you provided. Yes,there seems to be various editions/reprints. Agreed,the 18th engravings are mostly not hand coloured from what I found.

I was thinking mine might be a reprint and I will be happy if it’s 19th Century. I will continue looking. I did find this: Also possibly 18th century and hand coloured (so they are also not sure) The measurements are a close match. Taking into account a few centimetres of my engraving is hidden because of the framing.
    https://www.lelandlittle.com/items/190841/venetian-engraving-by-antonio-visentini/

I will try and find more examples or editions to compare sizes and other aspects.

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Not sure what to really think of this now. But I like it and the price was good.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

If I understand this correctly this is a set of 38 original engravings bind and published together in one volume by Joseph Smith in 1735. So the original 18th century engravings in this volume were in fact hand coloured. That’s interesting.

https://www.invaluable.com/v2/aucti...called-canaletto-1697-1768-by-60-c-bd8ab4e78d

Still not proof that my engraving is also 18th century obviously. Still a bigger possibility that it’s 19th century reprint (I would think) But the ‘hand colouring’ fact is just interesting.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    Figtree3 likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Type pf paper may make a difference. Laid paper is what you would expect from the 18th C. 19th C reprints may well be wove paper, but I have no way of knowing that for a fact.

2manybooks, Boland and Figtree3 like this.
  11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I was just going to say if you haven't already, you can try to identify the type of paper. There have been other discussions here on the forum about laid vs wove paper, which you can search for. It is easiest to distinguish the types if you can hold the paper up to the light, but if you don't want to unframe it you might be able to determine the difference from the front, and/or with magnification. You should also closely examine the characteristics of the printing and color application.

Boland and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you for your comment regarding the paper. Good suggestion. I understand that it’s a challenge just by looking at that the pictures I provided. I will look into the paper

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    moreotherstuff likes this.
  13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Appreciate the comment and advice. I will check the forum for related discussions. And then see what I can figure out with a magnifying glass. Thanks

14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I also e-mailed Maxwoods. I will provide feedback if they respond with any information.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Anyway I got a reply from the helpful and friendly people at Maxwoods. Unfortunately they only had limited information to give. They noted that they stopped using that particular stamp format about 35 years ago (the phone number was also changed)

Their electronic record system doesn’t go back that far. There may be more details in the old hardcopy Invoice book that has been archived in some storage facility ‘off-site’

One of the consultants is actually a paper conservator and has been at the company for 15 years. He very kindly offered to do some more ‘digging’ when he can (which is great and I really appreciate)

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's wonderful that person is there! I hope he finds some information for you.

Boland likes this.
  17. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I agree,very kind of him. Thanks.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted