Antiques and customs

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Stigliz, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Stigliz

Stigliz New Member

Antiques and customs
    Hello, guys.
    Could you help me, I am at a loss.
    I would like to sell different antique things (19th century) like coins, medals etc...
    They are in Czech Republic and Bulgaria. Is it legal to send them to another EU contries or even to outside the EU? I read that it's illegal to send or export things which older than 100 years. Nevertheless there are many sellers on ebay (for example) which sell antique things (which are definitely older than 100 years) from different European countries. Friends, explain me, please.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It would depend on the laws of your country. Here in the Us, it is not illegal to do so. I know that some countries make a distinction between antiques and antiquities, with only the former being allowed.

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Yes, Antiquities can fall into a different category, Museums that got ransacked in war zones suffered. You could ask local dealers in Antique Shops or see what has sold online.

Stigliz and Bronwen like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Stigliz.
    I am in the EU and have bought antiques from Bulgaria, Ottoman era, Austro-Hungarian. No problems at all.
    And because there is free traffic of goods and services inside the EU, customs officers don't check packages from one EU country to another anyway.

It can be different for antiquities or designated heritage items.
    We have an online designated heritage items list which people can consult here in the Netherlands, it is probably the same in the Czech Republic and Bulgaria. Many items on the list can be sold freely, because it includes items from museums that are not actually part of our own heritage (Native American art for instance). For others you have to ask permission, which you usually get.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

19th century coins and medals can be sold worldwide without problems.

Stigliz and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted