Antique Yiddish books Sholom Aleichem

Discussion in 'Books' started by MyAntiquersName, Mar 23, 2022.

1. MyAntiquersName

MyAntiquersName Active Member

8B609A3C-5556-41B6-B107-2813E13DBCB4.jpeg 24C2C26B-5C95-4718-9F3E-1479998A08EB.jpeg Hi - I stumbled upon this 12 volume set of books by Sholom Aleichem written in Yiddish with the sole copyright date of 1919 and I would like to sell them if I can. If not, I will donate them to a Yiddish library, if they are interested. Does anyone know if they have any value? The books were in the former apartment of parents of a relative. I only have two photos now but I can get more later. The photos I have show the books in the display cabinet, which was in an unoccupied apartment for many years.

Thanks!

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Debora likes this.
  4. MyAntiquersName

5. MyAntiquersName

I haven’t had a close up look at the books as I’m viewing them over Zoom. If they are damaged would that mean they are not sellable?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not much I can say. The author died in 1916. Typically, a set of collected writings like this wouldn't be worth a whole lot, and less with damage. Being written in Yiddish will be a limiting factor one way or the other.

Here's a bit about the author:
    https://www.britannica.com/biography/Sholem-Aleichem

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It has been our experience that there is little interest (or value) in Yiddish books. Condition always affects whatever value there is.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like water damage.....looks bad....

" I stumbled upon this 12 volume set of books by Sholom Aleichem.."

I like that.....that;s funny

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

he was born in Ukraine .......and a great talent....so maybe there is value there.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. MyAntiquersName

Draft saved Draft deleted