Featured Antique Wooden Ship Wheel

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Wanttoknow, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

*I have post Thread with wrong name of Item.
    This wheel is absolutely not a Ship wheel, but I would be glad to know WHAT it is and where it was used. :shy:
    Please help with information about it and what a good price to sale it in current condition. This wheel looks unusual for me – I was checking online and didn’t see one with so many handles: total should be 20 handles, (8 are broken). It made with big and with smaller size forged metal nails (they looks different sizes) and also there are used wooden nails. Also for me wood looks a little “reddish”.

It made from wood, with metal parts and brass parts. Weigh 11 lbs.

Measures: 27” dim with handles or 19” dim just big ring. Big ring 1 3/8” W, and
    middle ring 1 ½” W & 7 ¼” dim.

Thank you for any provided information.
    DSC01586.JPG DSC01578.JPG DSC01579.JPG DSC01580.JPG DSC01581.JPG DSC01582.JPG DSC01583.JPG DSC01584.JPG DSC01585.JPG DSC01588.JPG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that has not been on a ship. From the look of it it is impractical and from the dimensions, too small.

It does look old, though.

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I like it. :)
    That has quite a lot of hand grips for a wheel that small.
    Surely unnecessary and dangerous to boot.
    You might find someone with just the right collection to want it or a Marine themed restaurant.
    Be it from Cleopatra's barge well then....................... ;)

lauragarnet, Bakersgma and Wanttoknow like this.
  4. Wanttoknow

Oh! Now I know that "handles" called: Hand grips! :pompous:

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  5. KingofThings

Handle is pretty much correct but to me those are used for lifting.
    When I got a special allowance to pilot my first Navy ship they called them grips partly because you sometimes need them to hold on tight. ;)
    ~
    It was about a 4' beautiful wood wheel with fewer grips than this one I think.

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. Wanttoknow

Actually I am wondering if anybody will respond with information :cyclops:.... I am not "lucky" with answers in this forum..... not about my brass pot with symbols, not about my antique copper burner..... not about my small pot.... Some member was helping to another person with Chinese mark, when I saw it I have asked same member if my vase with similar, but even no respond...:( I don't know if some my items "so unique" that I am not able to get help or just members ignore me... :dead::dead::dead::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

7. KingofThings

It's possible no one knows for we can't know all though I usually will say I don't....
    Give this one more time as now it's summer and many are not stuck at home. :)

lauragarnet and Wanttoknow like this.
  8. Wanttoknow

I think you are absolutely right! It is exact what I am thinking right now: handles just added as decoration and "blocked" with "wooden nails". But: what is it? :hilarious::hilarious:

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Just a fantasy décor piece , probably from the 60's . I think a lot of the reason sometimes when no one responds is because they don't want to say you have nothing special . They don't wanna hurt your feelings . :)

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It's a thing shaped like a ship's wheel for decoration.

Here are some features of the real wheel.

The centre is fitted with a metal, keyed boss to fit on the spline of the winch that operates the steering ropes or chains, it has to be really stong at the center as a wheel that can slip without moving the rudder is useless. Typically it has about 8 spokes, which continue through the built up rim to end as the hand grips, another point that needs strength. Lots of grips are no better than 8, usually worse. Typically it is plain, it is a tool, not a toy.

Wheels can run up to 6 feet diameter and even be doubled on the same axis, if the steering system is simple machanical, the wheel has to haul on wires or chains that go all the way to the rudder, which itself has high hydrostatic loads on it resiting turning. 4 foot would probably be as small as is really practical and that on a fairly small fishing vessel.

Private touring or day cruisers have small wheels, usually about 2 feet overall. My 80 foot ship had about a 3 foot wheel.
    Nowadays if a wheel is used it is like a car steering wheel moving an actuator for a servo motor.

This is why I think your wheel was probably made for a fish restaurant or similar.

11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Agree - the construction is all wrong for a real ships wheel.

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  12. Wanttoknow

Your are right! Actually I begin look for more information after thread was post and of course it is not ship wheel, but I am not sure it just was made for decor.... There are over hundreds different parts adn details which attached to each other and I think if make my wheel just for decor it will be very (!) expensive decor, because will take a lot time to do. I think it was used before.... maybe for water!!!! Will go check it. :pompous:
    Edit:
    Nope... not for water....:confused:

13. Wanttoknow

First of all: it would be very nice to let people know, that their Item is "nothing" and just "forger it and don't spend time for it". :joyful: And second one: I don't think my end of 1800th century Chinese cooper real gold coated ceremony incense burner I was asking about and didn't get help, but anyway found information about it from another place - is NOTHING. :p:p:p:p

14. Wanttoknow

I don't care about the money, because I got it only for $14, but now I won't sleep if won't know what it is. But I am sure for 99% it is old. I don't see the reason do it as "decor" with tones of parts and if somebody would do it as a fake "ship wheel", why they just didn't do it as a "ship wheel" with right quantity of handles. :banghead: :joyful:

15. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

If you notice the ring is made of 6 solid pieces of wood then just glued together then held in place with the brass "spokes" - that type of construction would never hold up in a humid environment like on the waters. Real ship wheels have different layers of wood that overlap the glue joints - Kinda like the way they build with bricks - the joints are always over lapped for strength!!

16. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I never had a problem hurting people's feelings with my thoughts! :)

Teddy Roosevelt quote:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    “I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.”

17. Wanttoknow

I like it!!! :joyful: Actually here are many members who say truth.... and already after few seconds after thread with "antique item" was posted - answer pops up: "He..he...he... it is $2.50!" (for example)... I did it couple times too...:sorry: ;)

18. Wanttoknow

I was joking! :joyful: Oh men.... don't believe women.... :shame:

19. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Maybe it's from a temple like a konark wheel that someone added handles to.

20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Hinduism and Buddhism both use symbolic wheels. Wheels can represent time and history.

Draft saved Draft deleted