Featured Antique Wooden Shaker/Pantry Nesting Spice Boxes

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BryanTrackstand, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Hello,

I recently had a grip of antique items passed down to me and I'm trying to get oriented on the potential collectability of a few items. Here is a 9 piece wooden spice canister set. They remind me of shaker or pantry boxes and some are worth thousands which blows my mind. There are dates stamped on the bottom and I'm assuming they are 1868 but I could be way off. Are these of any value or old age? My friends' mother wants them and I cannot find anything similar to compare them to to research. Do these look familiar? Thanks in advance, there is some great knowledge on these boards to I thought I'd take a shot. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Those are really nice , but because of the date stamp , i'm going to say 1968.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Hi Komokwa, thanks for your reply. I also thought that the stamps were probably stamped in 1968 just by the look but I was hoping perhaps that these boxes themselves appeared older than the ink.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. komokwa

I think the dark stain on the wood gives them that older look !!
    But....I don't see any Shaker connection here....

These pop up...& are called antique....

Primitive Round Spice Box Set Bent-Wood Banded Tin Patent Aug 31, 1858 ++ #Primitive #PatentPackingCo

[​IMG]

And.....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

But I'm of the mind that yours may be a reproduction.....

KingofThings and BryanTrackstand like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, for what it's worth - Nov 17th 1968 was a Sunday. No way a patent was issued that day.

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

7. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I like them !!! (but then I am a sucker for wood items!:smuggrin:)

8. komokwa

Well Bryan, Bakers & Dragon both dug deeper than I , & came up with more accurate info than I presented.

Good on you gals !!:happy:
    I always say, I don't mind being proven wrong !! ;)

& in this case there's no penalty for piling on !!! :hilarious::wideyed::wideyed:

9. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

I'm wondering about the patent mark itself. I've seen a lot of antique items marked with a patent number but rarely does one see a patent number on vintage items in later years.

tyeldom3 and KingofThings like this.
  10. komokwa

Or so I thought......until I looked at Dragons LINK .

tyeldom3 and KingofThings like this.
  11. I always say, I don't mind being proven wrong !! ;)

@komokwa - They say the fool gets mad for being corrected but the wise man will thank you. :)

In any case, I appreciated your input! Everyone else, thanks for giving me some orientation on this.

12. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

A lot of these were stamped, all very correct. I have a similar set although mine aren't in as nice condition.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I find patent marks, whether just stating as patented or applied for, specific dates, and/or the patent number, on all sorts of different items dating from the mid 19th century to present day...

~Cheryl

tyeldom3 likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl,
    So do I. I always check the date since if the date is NOT a Tuesday it is a fake.
    Usually I find things with a holiday date and I KNOW those are fake.
    greg

tyeldom3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted