Antique Wooden Box - Identify the Wood. And Other Questions

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Cereus17, Jun 27, 2024 at 1:01 PM.

1. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

Hi,
    I bought this box online thinking that it was made from walnut. (The photos in the listing were lousy - very overexposed.) Now I’m wondering if it’s made from a more exotic wood such as Teak.

I’m hoping that collectors of wood furniture can identify the wood for me. (Maybe more than one wood was used?)

The box measures about 11” x 8” x 3".
    The interior is lined with leather with some traces of painted gilding.
    The bottom is stamped with two names - John Peate and M.K. Peate. I suppose that they're the maker's or the owner's names. I can't trace them.

I searched this box with Google Lens and found two that were VERY similar on the exterior. One was labeled “19TH C. SHAKER INLAY SEWING BOX” and the other was labeled “Early 19th Century George III Regency Exotic Banded Wood Inlay Box” I don’t know that I believe either identification….

Any thoughts?

Another question: The lid is slightly peaked with a flat top. Is there a name for that style of lid - as in Mansard roof in architecture?

Thanks in advance!
    1Top.jpg 2Front-Top.jpg 3Back1.jpg 4Side1.jpg 5Side2.jpg 6Bottom.jpg 7Open.jpg 8GLens.jpeg

kentworld and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Definitely not Shaker ... LOL! I do believe 19th century and possibly English. Did you find it in the UK? Agree, exotic hardwood but not teak. Looks like it could be rosewood or some other type of mahogany. Bottom is pine. Probably owner's names on the bottom.

3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

4. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

Thanks! I think the seller was in the US.

verybrad and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted