Antique Wood African Man Sitting

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by antiquelover69, Mar 19, 2020.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I've had this wood sculpture a few years.Maybe someone can tell me what type this is.Appears to be made out of a tree old wood.Original cloth ,old. SAM_0057.JPG SAM_0058.JPG SAM_0059.JPG SAM_0060.JPG SAM_0061.JPG SAM_0062.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

just a carving of a man ...with broken feet...?
    maybe missing something else....

kyratango and antiquelover69 like this.
  3. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

No feet are not broken.That's the way it's carved.

4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

[​IMG]
    Not exactly re: the feet...however, here he is with his hat intact. Unfortunately he was sold so there was scant information about him. "African, Tribal, Totem, etc".

kyratango, antiquelover69 and komokwa like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Really?
    That's what yer goin with??
    I suggest you stay away from wood carvings then.....;):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I could add that calling this a "tourist carving" might be overly generous. Not all tourist carving is bad. Most hand-crafted items available on the market are made for sale, to collectors or tourists. And some is very well-done, and based on traditional forms.

This, however, could fit into the "airport art" category, a step below tourist. It usually features a stereotyped figure, quickly carved, possibly imported from somewhere else, that is a last-minute, cheap option for someone who wants to grab something quick because they forgot to get a souvenir to give to someone back home to confirm the fact that they had been somewhere "exotic".

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree. It also provides an income.

Just a general statement:
    I am all for buying good quality souvenirs. Choosing good quality not only pleases the eye, but also helps maintain a good standard of artistry and creativity. That way true artists are supported and a tradition can continue or evolve in a dignified way.
    Buying junk 'junkifies' a culture.

2manybooks, Taupou and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted