Antique White Ceramic Cat, Spill Vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Jan 4, 2022.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

This is a pretty (but damaged) white cat figurine, I think it is porcelain but I'm not quite sure. The base looks like a kind common in the 19th century. When I first saw it in a job lot I thought, "Nice model, what a shame about the hole in its head", before realising that the hole was intentional, I think maybe for spills to light the fire. Usually antique spill vases have figurines with containers attached to them rather than holes in their heads, so I could be wrong. I thought it might be a toothbrush holder, but if drips got inside it, the figurine would be very difficult to clean. The cat is nicely moulded. One corner of the base has a badly glued repair to one corner, but I hope that it can be improved by taking apart and regluing. I wonder if at one time there was a glue which was clear when first used but grew dark later on, so unwiped glue became very obvious. What do you think of this? White cat - 1.jpeg White cat - 3.jpeg White cat - 6.jpeg White cat - 8.jpeg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Check around the outside of that pillow; there might be a mark there instead of on the bottom.

judy likes this.
  3. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

Sorry for delay! No mark anywhere, I'm afraid.

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted