Featured Antique Wax Figures

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Danno, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

IMG_1428.JPG IMG_1427.JPG IMG_1426.JPG The doll experts cannot help me. Any thoughts? These stand 18-20" tall and are solid wax with glass eyes and very old

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They're both praying, so my idle guess would be that they represent a donor couple and originally were part of a larger religious diorama. The fashions seem 17th C to me, and it is possible that they are that old. Don't know how likely that is.

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was thinking that they had a puritan like appearance but will defer to those much more knowledgable than myself.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Well then, let's hope someone else chimes in.

pearlsnblume, Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say "puritan" with all the frills. French, perhaps?

Amazing that they haven't melted if they truly are that old.

judy, Ladybranch and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

Good point with the frills. I can see french. The gentleman is being supported by this wiring...perhaps due to heat exposure or a broken right ankle?

IMG_1423.JPG

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ah. He does seem to be leaning and I wasn't sure whether that was intentional. Now I see that his shoe broke.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Not Puritans, for sure. French sounds about right.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Werent wax pictures and figures a late 1800's early 1900's fad ?

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Costumes are Baroque. 1600s.

Debora

Joshua Brown likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I have four wax Monks at the store. Because one has a beer stein, and all are round, jolly robed figures, I figured they were German.
    The wax is very hard. My store can get very hot during the summer and the heat doesn't seem to effect them.

Looking at the glass doll's eyes, the way the stand is made, I'm thinking yours might be late 1800s early 1900s. I am only guessing.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  12. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

You are right about the wax being extremely hard. Do you feel the stand is original or was put on sometime after the shoe broke? I am guessing that something was needed all along to balance the figure and perhaps the shoe broke while attaching but clearly a lot of guess work here.

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My guess is that they are pair - meant to be together - and as such, both would originally have been free standing (or on matching bases). I think this base was added when those wire supports were put in place. Putting it on a base where those wires are stapled in place holds them rigid, prevents accidental flexing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm not a doll person, know very little about doll collecting.
    I was thinking about your figures and especially the eyes today as I looked at my monks. It dawned on me that there were dolls made of wax.

I did a quick google search. Yours are probably still figurines and not dolls, because the clothing is wax and not material. But at least you can investigate the process and get an idea what companies did this type of work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wax...w1QKHWTYCfcQ_AUICSgC&biw=1340&bih=894#imgrc=_
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/261842165808984296/

15. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

We took them on antiques roadshow a couple of years ago and floyd jones, the doll expert had no idea.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I can't help thinking that they're meant to be specific, rather than generic, characters. From the pious poses and costumes that aren't contemporary to when they were made -- both odd choices so would have to mean something to someone.

Debora

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

18. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

Interesting thought and much appreciated!

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  20. Danno

Danno Well-Known Member

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted