Antique Wave Crest Jewelry Box - any ideas on when it was made and value?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Miller, May 15, 2019.

1. John Miller

John Miller Member

Does anyone know it's value or when it was made? box5.jpg box1.jpg box2.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi John!

Welcome to Antiquers.......

How did you come by it?

It looks newer to me, but please wait for others who will have much more knowledge on Wavecrest.

3. John Miller

John Miller Member

Hello Judy and thank you !

I am currently bidding on this piece at an auction. I really like it, and would either keep it or sell it (assuming I win the auction of course) ! The bid price is climbing rapidly, so I assume it's worth to be on the high end. I have other items I just purchased through an estate auction and will post those to check history and value.

4. John Miller

John Miller Member

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You're welcome John!

Perhaps @Ownedbybear could be of help?

John Miller likes this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, WaveCrest, by C. F. Monroe, a decorator, was made late 19th century very early 20th. In the USA. Maybe in Connecticut. I do know that Rodefer, in Bellaire, Ohio made some of their glass.

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I was just about to tag you for help also!

Do you think that this piece is old?

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

So far as I know, C.F. Monroe was out of business by 1916 - is there something bothering you about this piece, Judy?

~Cheryl

Jivvy likes this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl!

Yes......the feet.

I did try to find the mark as shown in OP's.

I don't think I've ever been lucky enough to have handled a piece of Wavecrest though.

i need help likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

Haven't handled any Wave Crest in many years, and don't have the book, but they used a wide variety of metal mounts, and the banner mark is fairly common - do recall seeing repros in the '90s, don't remember the marks, but the glass was heavier than the genuine pieces, with a bit of an 'oily' feel...

~Cheryl

judy, Jivvy and i need help like this.
  11. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

12. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

From memory the mark looks good. Monroe did not make the mounts and these may be one they attached or one a distributor or retailer attached.

John Miller, judy, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

It looks fine to me, the nice satin lining isn't really anything I'd expect from a repro either...

~Cheryl

John Miller, judy and i need help like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

15. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Nothing I see from the pics would indicate to me it was a reproduction. 1916 is the information I have regarding when they went out of business.

Value is difficult to determine as appeal of the decoration is a key factor.

John Miller and judy like this.
  16. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a Wavecrest jar about the same size but without the metal foot mount for $15 at a mall in Indianapolis. That's the second one I've found at that price in the last year. They've fallen out of favor here.
    Don

17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

The condition of the material inside that box is wonderful, usually it is in tatters!

John Miller likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not my field, Wavecrest, we don't see it here, but the inner lining looks to have decent age to me.

19. DragonflyWink

Just out of curiosity, wonder how 'Wave Crest' become 'Wavecrest'? Seems to be the more popular spelling, but the name/trademark is two words, and always has been...

~Cheryl

20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'm sure OP John Miller will be happy to see all your replies.

I know I am.

pearlsnblume, John Miller and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted