Featured Antique/Vintage Advertising Kenny's Dry Roast Coffee Print,Who Is Artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by antiquelover69, Jan 31, 2023.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

I was going through some more of my storage find.I got this coffee advertising,on the back,"Kenny's Dry Roast Coffee",really a beautiful print.Artist look like.P. Cerneri."A Welcome Guest".Anybody know the artist or where I can find information.I google and found cards only.Measure 10"x15".Does have a few issue. SAM_9690.JPG SAM_9691.JPG SAM_9693.JPG SAM_9694.JPG SAM_9696.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not finding any information at all. A couple sites say Cerneri is a pen name of Hans Johann Wagner (1866-1940), but this is very atypical of the Wagner works shown online... and there's no info on him either. Looks to be a cromolithograph, and one is currently listed on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/164037952548

3. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Interesting tidbit about the company from Bhamwiki, whatever the heck that is...

Hit hard by the Great Depression, the C. D. Kelly Company closed its retail stores in 1935. The company's Birmingham operations moved to a warehouse at 1629–1631 1st Avenue North, with all retail employees offered positions in the new business. The company continued to successfully import tea, coffee, sugar and spices for grocery stores and wholesale customers. It was acquired by Nathan Cummings' Consolidated Food Corporation of Chicago in 1939 and continues to operate as Sara Lee.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's interesting: "A supplement to N. Y. World" printed in the lower left hand corner.

"In 1896, the World began using a four-color printing press; it was the first newspaper to launch a color supplement..."

According to the internet, C.D. Kenny had 60 stores in 1900 turn of the 20th century roughly your date.

Debora

antiquelover69 likes this.
  5. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Ah, I was going to say something about how nice and bright the colors are given the age. This explains it.

antiquelover69 likes this.
  6. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Wow! great information! thanks to you all! love this site!

Draft saved Draft deleted