Antique Trunk?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hollypell20, Aug 1, 2023.

1. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg I got this trunk from someone and I have no info about it. Id like an idea of maybe worth and how old it is. I have not looked under it for identifying markers yet. The inside has a few "cloth" dividers and compartments that come out.

pearlsnblume and wlwhittier like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Turn of the century flat-top travel trunk. Refinished condition. Looks like the fabric has been stripped off and the wood underneath finished. Typical thing to do in the 80s-90s. Not worth nearly as much as they once were and value will depend on location and selling venue. Here in my semi-rural Midwest location, assuming a nice intact interior, somewhere in the $50- $100.00 range at retail.

Figtree3, Lucille.b, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

I'll have to get a a better pic of the inside. That is just the seam of the top. The fabric i think is still intact inside. Nothing has been refinished on it. I"ll get some better pictures of the inside when I get home this evening an post them.

4. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

I actually traded it for some furniture I refinished and got the better end of the deal on it. I was just curious. thank you.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

It a nice trunk, especially the intact label, but as verybrad said the demand and prices today are very low. I think its a issue of what the heck do I do with it plus my spouse will be p#ssed if I bring this home :)

Lucille.b, pearlsnblume and bluumz like this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Well, it's not too old to have a 4-digit phone number on that label. Cleveland history should enable you to narrow that manufacturer's time & duration in operation.

If it is, indeed, un-molested, it is in stunningly good condition...congratulations, an' Good luck!

7. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

Well I did trade for it, and I love it. Thank God he actually loves it too. The piece I re did cost me $45 and a little time to refinish so I was just making sure I got a fair deal. I attached a pic of what I traded for. I think its a cool piece.

Attached Files:

8. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

I have tried to google the phone number and the history of phone numbers but im not coming up with much.

9. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

To be honest I cant really find that much on the company either.

10. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

From the internet: (N.Y. Times)

"The older numbers had two or three digits. Later, four digits were used. In December 1920, as the phone company prepared for direct local dialing, all numbers became four digits.
    Four-digit exchange numbers remained standard until Dec. 31, 1930, when a fifth digit was added."

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/nyregion/thecity/16fyi.html

11. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Well done!

Lucille.b and Rayo56 like this.
  12. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

OH thats awesome to know. Thank you so much. So It was made between 1920 and 1930 Im assuming. It really doesn't matter Im just curious about it. thank you again.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ahhhh, but it does matter !!:woot:

Others will see your nice trunk and come here looking for credible information as you have .
    So, those interior pics you promised would be of great value to make this thread complete and may lead to further knowledge about your trunk itself !!

;);)...:happy:

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think @verybrad was talking about the fabric that covered the outside at one time, it has beed stripped off and the wood that was underneath was refinished :)

Lucille.b, verybrad and komokwa like this.
  15. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

I'll get on that as soon as I get home. I refinish furniture and work a full time job so I stay pretty busy and slap forgot!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

Here are the inside pictures of the trunk.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      88.9 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      78.7 KB
      Views:
    • 123.jpg
      123.jpg
      File size:
      90 KB
      Views:
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Pretty plain as far as interiors go. Can't say it adds much value. Just having the tray does help.

Exactly. Exterior would have originally been cloth covered between the slats.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the way someone put two aromatic red cedar slats inside to give the trunk that cedar smell.
    I'd line the whole interior with those.
    it would made the inside Pop.....!!!

19. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

I think the trays are a nice touch. We will use it as storage and its a pretty piece to have in the house. I dont to much care about value just mainly wanted to know maybe how old it was.

20. hollypell20

hollypell20 New Member

Im torn between lining it with cedar ( I already have a cedar chest) or leaving it original.

Draft saved Draft deleted