Featured Antique Tool Box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Allthecolors, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Allthecolors

Allthecolors New Member

Found in grandpa's garage, we determined this was prop 80-100 years old but of course were new at this and could be way off...there are smaller boxes that sit inside the tool box. Any estimates of its worth is appreciated!

IMG_9114.jpg
    IMG_9013.jpg

Attached Files:

2. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

photo of the front please

judy likes this.
  3. Allthecolors

Allthecolors New Member

4. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Thank you.. I like it! Very simple carpenters chest.. no dovetail corners.
    Years ago cleaned up I would have thought 1-200. but I'm afraid now maybe 50 but please wait until those with more knowledge answer

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Homemade but I'm surprised at the 45º angles on the joints!

pearlsnblume, bobsyouruncle and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My grandfather had one of these too. Back in the 50's we lived next door and spent a fair amount of time in the garage with Gappa as he puttered. Seemed as old as dirt to my less than 10 year old eyes. He had been a house builder in the 20's, but the Depression did his business in.

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I've never gotten more than about 40 bucks for one at a garage sale. I generally start out higher and put the tag on the item. Can search Craigslist in your area to see if there's any others and what they cost.

pearlsnblume and bobsyouruncle like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have my grandfather's down in the basement too; Grandpa painted it locomotive shop gray before I was born and so it's stayed. That one's NFS. Old too boxes don't sell for much these days anyway unless they're branded Snap-On or something.

pearlsnblume and bobsyouruncle like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think easily 80-100 years old. As others have said, values are down. Maybe $75.00 at retail give or take here in the Midwest if coffee table sized.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted