Antique Tapestry Origin and Restoration

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by teamichele, Jul 4, 2021.

1. teamichele

teamichele Member

Hello! I have an antique tapestry I purchased. It has an old tag identifying it as 1813. Based on research, I believe is a Jacquard tapestry but beyond that I haven't found much information. French? Belgian? It measures about 7 feet by 5 feet.

I'd like to clean it. I know I have to clean it by hand. I read a carpet cleaner could work with the right solution to not damage the fibers.

Suggestions? Ideas? Screenshot_20210704-162034_Photos.jpg

Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It would be important to identify the fibers - wool? linen? - and assess their condition before cleaning. I would look for a shop that specializes in cleaning oriental rugs. They are more likely to have experience dealing with antique fibers, and suitable equipment. All dyes should be tested, to be sure they will not run.

Bronwen, teamichele and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A lot of those show up here. May not be what you want to hear but... Typically they were machine woven in the early 20th century (not quite antique) and imported from France or Belgium. Usually, not worth the cost of restoration. If I'm "reading" your photographs correctly, the front is badly faded and the back has retained some of its original color. Would/could you post a photograph of the tag? By way, from what I can see, the clothing is early 17th century when ruffs are still worn but are being replaced with softer neckware. (This is Charles I with ruff, doublet and breeches painted in 1629.)

Debora

Charles_1_Mijtens.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Bronwen, teamichele and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. teamichele

teamichele Member

Screenshot_20210704-175938_Gallery.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  5. teamichele

teamichele Member

Reality is, I didn't pay a lot for it...I paid with 2 US bills I carry in my bag. I know it's possibly machine woven, that's why I thought Jacquard. Then I'm looking and the wafts are uneven. I'm wondering if it's a hybrid like.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photograph of tag. I don't think the writing represents a year. Looks more like 18/4.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes, bluumz, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I, too, see machine woven and 18/4, not 1814.

teamichele, Debora and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. teamichele

teamichele Member

Belgium or France, early 20th century. Thank you!

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted