Featured Antique Table Advice

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ghopper1924, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

In your wide experience, will replacing the marble on a marble top table with one of equal quality diminish the table’s worth? If so, how much? Thanks in advance…..

judy, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if it's similar ....in size and quality.....I don't see a problem...

although....if it's a known antique ...an expert might know the difference between new marble and the older marble that was used...

3. Ghopper1924

Thanks Komo. Since most marble was made at kinda sorta the same geologic time, it's a matter of when it was extracted from the earth. In my experience old marble is chiefly distinguished by being dirty underneath.

But you're right, you can often tell if a piece is newly cut. So does that make a $2K table less valuable?

4. komokwa

I guess it depends on........to whom?

best I can do...:sorry:

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Why do you want to change the marble is it cracked or stained?

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

On this particular table the marble has already been replaced.

judy likes this.
  7. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm not a furniture or marble expert (hopefully one will come along). Just based on general principles, I would expect the aesthetic aspects of the replacement as well as quality and faithfulness to the original shape and style (if you can research it) would be a big factor.

IMO, I've found that buyers of antiques in general are split in those with purist leanings and those who just love something (with its flaws), because they just find it gorgeous.

pearlsnblume, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Helpful, Joe, thanks.

In my case, the new piece is painstakingly cut exactly like the old one, but it's a beautiful rose instead of white, which I presume the original was. In fact, I would have thought mine was the original except for a "Made in Portugal" stamp underneath.

pearlsnblume, judy and komokwa like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

The table in question: IMG_1139.jpg

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The rose color marble top is just beautiful! It appears to go well with the other things in the room. So I'm assuming you are asking for the value not intending to replace it unless the value would make it worth the cost of the change. Do you want it white? I like it the way it is, not that white would be less attractive, It's just that if it ain't broke , , ,

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I know nothing of furniture but I think it looks terrific as it is.

12. Ghopper1924

Thanks Ola and Pearls. Actually, Ola, the rose marble is new(ish), not original, so I'm asking if that subtracts from the value.

I'm thinking that this 42" long mahogany table ca. 1860 with a replacement rose marble top should sell for around 2K in my part of the U.S. Midwest. Too high? Too low? Does the replacement marble detract? I'm actually thinking that the table may have been built and/or marketed by Prudent Mallard in New Orleans, but that's a topic for another day.

Anyway, I appreciate all of you taking a look and providing your informed opinions, learned or not :)

komokwa, bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. komokwa

the color seems to flow with the table , just right...

2 large US $. ......I can't speak to....:sorry::sorry:

Draft saved Draft deleted