Featured Antique sterling frames marked I/D or I/O?? Plus other questions.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lucille.b, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Finally, an IN PERSON estate sale -- first one in months! (99.9% of our local estate sales have depressingly gone to online auction format now. :arghh:) Anyway, couldn't wait to go to this live one just like the old days ...back in 2019.:)

The sale opened early so I missed the first 20 minutes, and I was surprised to see these still on the shelf for $5 as my first thought was sterling. Thank goodness for progressive lenses, I could barely make out "Ster...." super tarnished on the base. I polished the mark up for photos below.

I'm wondering about maker, but also have another question. Would these have been coated somehow as they seem sort of a funny color. I tried a little bit of sunshine cloth and it didn't seem to bring the shine out too much, but my cloth is really really used, and I need a fresh one. I decided before doing any potential damage I better check here. Take a look at a few photos. I have not tried polishing much, but took a few swipes at the top section and it didn't do much.

fr1.jpg

Here's the mark, found on the bottom of each. This part did shine up.

fr1b.jpg

Small frames, about 3 1/2 inches tall.
    fr2.jpg

If you are curious about the photo at all, I did remove the back on one:

fr9.jpg

fr44.jpg

fr8.jpg

Wondering if this etched section originally had a darker stain to bring it out. I'm worried if I polish it it might take that color out. What do you think?

fr8b.jpg

Polish? Maker ID? All thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

fr8c.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Lucille.b

I think you found the maker, INH. Looks good! Thank you! :)

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Those RL frames are 11" tall, just FYI.........buried in the info below! I think yours will shine up lovely, @Lucille.b !!

6. Lucille.b

That is very similar. Thank you.

Yes, the asking price on the large one above is quite optimistic. But the photo gives me hope mine will shine up! :)

Cheers!

Any Jewelry, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Your pics show some small areas with peeling/chipped yellowed lacquer revealing silver, needs to be removed, I usually have success with 100% acetone, but other methods might be needed. Not seeing any etching, which is an acid process, looks like they left quite a bit of tarnish in the engraved areas before lacquering.

This one is acid-etched:

https://www.rubylane.com/item/656453-R13420/Acid-Etched-Floral-Oval-Picture-Frame

deitschacidetchedframe.JPG

~Cheryl

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Aquitaine, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Thank you, Cheryl. I am 100% clueless about lacquer on silver. Was that something people did to somehow preserve it, or would it have been original to the piece? This makes sense that there is something on top of the silver of these frames as they didn't easily polish. Plus would explain the slightly off color.

Now thinking these weren't such a deal at $5. There is no way to soak these if that's what is needed. The backs have an oval wooden support frame and I wouldn't want to soak that. It seems like just rubbing acetone might not be enough.

Good to learn about this and the etching. Thanks.

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  9. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I would have paid 5 bucks for those all day long! A q-tip with acetone will take care of the lacquer.

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Okay, I'll give a Q-tip a try. Thanks.

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Don't forget to let us see how you did!!!:):)

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted