Featured Antique silver vase/bud vases

Discussion in 'Silver' started by p2potter, May 19, 2018.

1. p2potter

p2potter New Member

IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0315.jpg IMG_0316.jpg hi,

In clearing out my parent house we found this.

Hall marks are anchor, lion, 'O'. Not sure if this is 1790's or 1930's!

Dimensions are 11.5" tall, 9" across at its widest point, bud vase are 5.5" tall, main vase is 5" across at the top.

Any help on age, value, or other inform would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Phil

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I think it's anchor for Birmingham, lion for sterling, and O for 1938, but I'm not sure...

3. p2potter

p2potter New Member

Thanks! Just weighed it and at 930g it is pretty substantial!!

Phil

kyratango likes this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The branched piece is usually called an epergne. They are 1930s rather than the earlier date and are probably loaded in the bases. If you go back to your post, hit the edit option, and then select full image for each picture it would be generally appreciated.

Saleroom value would be about the metal value, the basic vases are pretty common, but the epergne might fetch more as it is unusual and more decorative. It is the type of thing I'd bid for myself as a decorative item.

5. afantiques

I did not realise that you were referring to the branches as bud vases, I thought they were bud vases plus the complete epergne. They do look a bit damaged, but should be repairable.

6. p2potter

p2potter New Member

Thanks for the information. We thought that the side flower holder were supposed to look like that since they appear symmetrical to each other. However we do not really know the history of this piece, and the searches I have done indicate that they should all be 'flat'.

Sorry I cannot edit my posts, I do not know how to do it!

Thanks,

Phil

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

As long as you are WITHIN 12 HOURS of posting, you CAN edit your post! Look at the bottom of your post....you will see it says "Edit".....click on that.....you will then see your images listed, and the very TOP image should say to the effect "post all images FULL SIZE".....click on that and they should all appear.....Full Size!! Once you're used to it, pretty easy peasy!!!! Thanks!!!!

afantiques and komokwa like this.
  8. p2potter

p2potter New Member

I hope I have done it!!

Thanks,

Phil

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

10. afantiques

A picture of the underside of the base should show if the main body is loaded or not. Usually if the foot is pitch or resin filled there will be a black cardboard cover. I have found filled feet or bases with a disc of lead to add extra weight and hence stability.
    Loaded bases meant more stability for the piece, and more strength for the foot. It would also mean knocking about 100 grams off the actual silver weight. There could also be a steel rod extending from the base up into the lowest part of the main trumpet, this also being filled. This gives strength to a construction that if all silver would be quite weak. Early pieces were made by casting, and were solid and strong enough to stand alone, the use of thinner sheet silver to construct objects made for fancier designs at lower prices but had a few shortcomings in the way of fragility.
    It looks as if there are three side pieces.

For other opinions on value search sterling silver epergne for sold items. Bearing in mind the condition I'd pay about £250 for that, other opinions may differ.

Aquitaine likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Draft saved Draft deleted