Antique sideboard server buffet?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Cberr, Jul 7, 2024.

1. Cberr

Cberr New Member

I acquired this a while back and it’s been sitting in my friends garage. I’ve been meaning to do something with it…anyway a bunch of questions I’d be very grateful to have answered. How old? Where did it most likely come from? Was it supposed to have a top section? If I were to do anything to it to clean it up, what should and should I not do? And the million dollar question… what’s it worth if I were to sell it?
    I researched them a little but most have double doors. This is only a single door and this one doesn’t seem as ornate in my opinion. But the carvings are neat. Anyway just wanted to see what I’m dealing with here. lol. Thanks! Not sure how to get my pics on to post but here’s a link to google photo album of it. https://photos.app.goo.gl/zY5gs4s6Gj1tWCWT7

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

This is a ca. 1860s-1870s credenza, faced in walnut. The drawers are lined with curly maple, a sign of high-end craftsmanship. You could also call it a buffet, which is fine. I don’t know where you are (which matters); my guess would be that this was made in the northeastern U.S. - New York or Philadelphia- or possibly the “old Midwest,” i.e. Ohio, Indiana or Illinois. Very nice!

However, you are correct: this piece is missing it’s top, which was either a mirror or carved wood backsplash. Also, it has inappropriate pulls, which either need to be replaced with appropriate ones, or it may also be that the drawers and doors did not have pulls at all but were opened with keys inserted into the lock escutcheons.
    Both of these drawbacks significantly affect value. If you want to see what a high end credenza can be worth in excellent condition, type in Herter Brothers credenza or Pottier and Stymus credenza into eBay. The prices asked are in the thousands U.S.
    However, yours is worth far less because of the issues listed above. Still, it does have noticeable value, although you would have to sensitively restore it in the manner of those eBay credenzas. Nevertheless, it’s a beautiful piece with some real value potential.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
    Figtree3, komokwa, verybrad and 2 others like this.
  3. Cberr

Cberr New Member

Wow! Thanks for all the info. I think I found the right place to ask. You were very informative. Greatly appreciated. If this piece was a little smaller, I’d probably wanna keep it but just way too big for my home. I do a little woodworking so I can definitely appreciate the craftsmanship. This was what originally made me want to acquire it.
    Also, want to let ya know that this came from an old Victorian home here in Cape May, NJ where I live. So you are spot on when you said Philadelphia, as most of Cape May was and is the summer playground to Philadelphia and many an item found its way from there to here. Thanks again!

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Awesome, I appreciate your helpful response. And if anyone wanted to hit “best answer” at the end of my post, that would be just super!!!

5. Cberr

Cberr New Member

As far as value, if I were to sell, what would be a fair asking price as is, compared to if I were to restore it? I am tempted to take on the project, but could have to educate myself a little on the topic of sensitive restoration. I am familiar with woodworking but this I am sure is a completely different beast, keeping in mind the consequences of over-restoring. I would think tastefully refreshing and cleaning and leaving original finish? Again, I got some research to do. lol. Thanks again.

6. Ghopper1924

I don’t know about the market in Cape May, but in my part of the US Midwest I would expect a rather disappointing $200-$400 as-is. If you removed the pulls and replaced them with round
    walnut escutcheons, then conditioned and polished the piece you might do a bit better.
    Unfortunately we don’t know if there was a carved wood backsplash or a mirror attached to the back, so it’s virtually impossible to do a correct total restoration. If you’re an accomplished woodworker you might look at other examples of carved wood backsplashes/galleries on eBay and copy one in old growth walnut if you can find it.

Figtree3, komokwa and verybrad like this.
  7. Cberr

Cberr New Member

Several years ago, I actually got a really good deal from a mill going out of business in PA. I bought the remainder of their black walnut. I sure had a lot of new woodworking friends at the time. lol. Anyway, aside from a few small pieces, unfortunately that stock depleted quickly. But definitely an idea. I acquired this piece from a painter friend who was working on the house it came from. New owner didn’t want it. So I got it. My furniture influences are of the like of Nakashima and I like to make live edge pieces myself, so thought it might be fun to go outside my comfort level. We’ll see. Anyway, thanks again. I just really had no idea of a price point. To be honest, I’d probably give it away if I knew someone would enjoy it.

Ghopper1924 and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I don’t think the backsplash is needed (and too much work) but replacing the two missing drawer pulls would be pretty inexpensive. Just measure the spacing (3 inch or whatever) and look for suitable replacements on eBay. Pressed glass would be appropriate and I’ve bought period 19th century pressed glass there with a bit of hunting. That and a once over with a wipe on varnish oil mix would be a big improvement.

Draft saved Draft deleted