Antique sewing machine, name ?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by daveydempsey, Feb 7, 2018.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I get quite a lot of these and they usually go for scrap because no one wants them anymore, but this one from the shed clearance caught my eye.
    The wood base and box have disintegrated due to worm,
    The metal is inlaid with MOP.
    The makers name has worn away.
    Any ideas.

20180207_162649.jpg

20180207_162657.jpg

20180207_162701.jpg

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  2. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Davey, not at all sure but check out Wertheim Superba. May be a variant?

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  4. daveydempsey

I only found one with similar markings under Wertheim Superba but the photo is poor.
    supbac.jpg

Searching for SUPERBO and all that comes up is damn SUPERBOWL :mad:

Christmasjoy, Figtree3, judy and 4 others like this.
  5. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

From what I can see the configuration and decoration of the superba matches, except for the O at the end!!!

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  6. daveydempsey

I did some cropping and combo`s
    I`m not sure.

Capture-vert.jpg

7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is no help, but: Elias Howe, inventor of the sewing machine, had a cousin also named Elias Howe. The second Elias Howe founded a company which made banjos, including, in 1898, the Superbo. It may have had some mother of pearl, but there the similarity to the sewing machine ends.

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. say_it_slowly

11. daveydempsey

SIS that is the one Superb work, or should I say SUPERBA, however the last "A" is an "O" on mine.
    The box lid is identical, but mine is slowly turning to dust due to woodworm.
    They got £120 for theirs so anything in that region is not to be sniffed at for me, especially as it was free.:D
    Thanks all for your work and to rhiwfield for his original maker ID

12. say_it_slowly

It makes me wonder if whoever was doing the lettering on yours just was asleep at the wheel and used a "D" instead of an "A". Or maybe it's a really good knock off:).

13. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Haven’t really digested all posts here but first reaction is a wild guess that use of “O” vs “A” in trade name may be maker’s adaptation for sales in various countries, possibly Spanish-speaking ones in this case, but who knows for sure.

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and Aquitaine like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

15. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

My contribution, while called for, will be completely pointless now.

A Wertheim Superba 'D'. Made in Germany, probably 1870s-1900. Very old transverse-shuttle design. Germany was still making machines like this right up to WWII, believe it or not. When the rest of the world had gone onto round-bobbin electric machines, they were still quite literally, cranking out these old Victorian-era models, complete with the cranks on the sides.

Despite its age and antiquated design, this machine would've had features on it that, in 1900, would've been considered highly revolutionary. Helical cut gears, for better movement, and a spring-loaded automatic-stop bobbin winder mechanism. Some even came with forward-reverse gears.

Features like this wouldn't be seen on American machines until the 1920s and 30s at the very earliest. Many Singers didn't come with forward-reverse stitching until after WWII.

Due to the needles that the majority of transverse machines use, sewing with these machines is a complete crapshoot. Sometimes if you're lucky, you can get the needles, but if you can't - they make extremely effective doorstops. By the 1890s and 1900s, when the next-generation vibrating-shuttle machines were being made, needle-sizes for domestic machines were pretty-much standardised across the board, so that, providing everything else works, you can still get them sewing today.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

even a last minute touchdown....scores points !:happy::happy:

17. Shangas

MoP and gold-leaf etc, were common on European machines in the 1800s and early 1900s. You have to remember that sewing machines were almost luxury items in their day. If you owned one, you had a lot of money (or were very good at managing not much money!).

They were very expensive. They were built to literally last forever. And they had to, because nobody would buy a machine that did not, because they cost so much to begin with. They were treated as functional, and practical works of art. You'd just spent several dollars on a sewing machine - you wanted it to look amazing!!

Something like that would've sat in a living room in the corner, or in the front parlour or sewing-room, and it would've been a talking-point, a conversation starter, a piece of decoration.

In 1895 or thereabouts, a machine like this would not have been cheap by any means.

Christmasjoy, SBSVC and all_fakes like this.
  18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Did anyone else ever see the Spanish-language TV show, The Time in Between? It came out 4 or 5 years ago, and I don't know if it ran for more than one season, but I remember seeing the first year of it (with subtitles...)

It was set in Tétouan, the capital of the Spanish Protectorate of Morocco, during the Spanish Civil War and the beginning of World War II.

Anyway, one of the main characters was a seamstress from Madrid, living in Morocco, and she was always whipping up some amazing dress on her foot-pedal sewing machine.

I have no idea how old that machine was supposed to be, but it was nothing like even the old Singer my Mom had when I was a kid (let alone the machine I have today.)

Every time the film cut to her sewing, I lost track of the subtitles, since I was so intrigued just watching that machine do its thing!

19. Shangas

Treadle sewing machines have been around since sewing machines were born. My grandmother used to have half a dozen of them in her shop.

20. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

When I was a child in England us girls FIRST had to learn hand sewing before we could use the very old treadle machines, I can still remember my feet learning to move properly in order to run the thing .. this was about 1955 so you can see how well these old machines held up .. Joy.

daveydempsey and SBSVC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted