Featured Antique Russian Kiddush Cup

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DBinSV, Apr 9, 2018.

1. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

My grandmother told me that this cup was a gift from an uncle. It was among the things my maternal grandparents took with them when they left Russia in 1916.

Searching by images on Google, I found two cups with similar scrolling foliage designs, at invantiques.com and ancientpoint.com.

The marks, however, are not the same (nor is the height: this cup is 2.125 inches or almost 5.5 cm.). As I prepare to pass this along as part of the collection to my niece and nephew, I’m wondering whether anyone can help me with the identification, so I can put some documentation into the notes I send along with the pieces. The photos include the marks on the bottom as well as the side of the cup, right underneath the rim (the latter is as close-up a shot as I could manage).

Kiddush_Cup_Front.jpg Mark_on_Side_of_Cup_3.jpg Mark_on_Side_of_Cup_1.jpg Kiddush_Cup_Bottom.jpg Underside_Marks_Close-Up.jpg

2. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

At 2 inches high, this is almost certainly a kiddush cup. I've seen a few of them in antiques shops and auctions and such and I've never seen one taller than about three and a half, four inches.

I can't ID all the marks, but if I remember my Russian silver, '84' will be 84% silver.

pearlsnblume, Houseful and judy like this.
  3. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

We have a few of those at home. They are kiddush cups, and I was able to find several online websites a while back that explained the markings and the designs. I just now found a "19th century kiddush cup" Pinterest page. So, I'm not an expert who can offer help but there are several online resources out there.

Shangas is correct about the purity:

http://www.925-1000.com/Frussia.html

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I like it! :) My ancestors also left Russia around that time.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

84 zolotniks is .875

anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

My ancestors also left Russia around the same time.
    :)

Barn Owl likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

mine left Romania.....but they really weren't mine....but that's for another day...

Barn Owl and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Two of my relatives left Romania as well (my grandfather's parents) to come here.

judy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted