Featured Antique? Royal Co. NY slag glass lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 21, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this beautiful lamp at a local thrift store Doing an image search I found similar that were called art deco era & arts & crafts.

What do I have? What is it made of (the body; the shade is slag glass)? When is it from?

Thank you!

FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 1AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 1CAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 2AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 3BAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 4AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 4BAA.jpg

FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 5AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 5DAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 9AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 9CAA.jpg

Boland, johnnycb09, stracci and 2 others like this.
  2. journeymagazine

The plug makes me think it is old.
    And the lamp shade is beautiful, but the pieces are so simply kept in place, I am wondering if I got a copy?

FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 8AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 8CAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 7AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 7CAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 7DAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP ROYAL CO NEW YORK 7FAA.jpg

Boland, stracci, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Looks like someone may have replaced the socket shells, but I don't see any reason to believe it's not a period piece, personally. It's very nice

Boland, johnnycb09, stracci and 3 others like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice 20s-30s bent slag glass lamp. Metal would be a pot metal alloy and originally painted. Paint could be original on yours. Too bad the sockets are replaced but looks great and original otherwise.

Boland, johnnycb09, stracci and 3 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

One socket chain won't pull so only 1 bulb lights up.
    Do I call it bent slang glass lamp?

johnnycb09, stracci and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Probably not.

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Can 'slumped' be used to describe the glass?

8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

They're easy to change if you have some handyman skills. Since they're both not original to the lamp, you can get two replacements at a hardware store. Just make sure you follow all precautions and best practices when working with, and on, electrical components.

Speaking of which, you should either change the plug, or find a similar with an insulator panel to cover the exposed wiring. You could inadvertently touch the wires when plugging it in, or unplugging it.

journeymagazine likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd actually rewire the whole thing. iI'd think it originally had cloth-covered wires so it's already been done at least once. The plug has to go and I can't think the wiring is any too up to code either.

10. journeymagazine

Spell check changed to slang from slag & I didn't catch it, sorry.

11. Bronwen

It's spell check that should be apologizing. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted