Antique ? Rose pattern table cover with hanging fringe !

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by AntTedII, Feb 12, 2023.

1. AntTedII

AntTedII New Member

OK, the picture I have is bad because I need to find a table that is the correct side to lay this out ! It features large Roses which I think are made of Silk ? It has those long black fringes . Any ideas of possibly date, origin ?
    Many thanks, Ted

I had to crop the original photo so it would upload !

Attached Files:

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

It’s a piano shawl. Beautiful!

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a mantón de Manila from Spain, Ted. And from what I can see a quite pretty one. Hard to tell age from one photograph -- and they're still made today. Quality is based upon the material, the weight of the fringe, and the expertise of the embroiderer. Silk is a good sign, all-over embroidery is a good sign. Please post a close-up photograph of a section of the front, the back and the fringe. Also rough measurements of both the center and the fringe. And does it have soiling in the center?

Debora

cover2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    Figtree3, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, and treat the fringe or fleco gently when you handle it; you don't want it to unravel.

Debora

kyratango likes this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Often called piano shawls.
    Interestingly, the Manton de Manila actually originated in Canton, China and were imported by Spain through the port of Manila.
    Measurements?
    As Debora says, close up well-focused photos will be needed, back and front.
    Such shawls are still being made today.

[​IMG]

kyratango likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Philippines being a Spanish possession.

Debora

Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Exactly. And exported worldwide, either from Canton itself (to the Netherlands for instance), or through Manila.

https://www.fashionmuseumriga.lv/eng/kaleidoscope/manila/

In Dutch these shawls are called 'serge à la Turque'. Serge being thin silk, and no idea why they came up with 'à la Turque', French for Turkish style.;) Maybe a trade connection, like Manila? Mind you, the Dutch also called Kashmir shawls Turkish, so it could be a general term for foreign made shawls.:playful:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    kyratango and bluumz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted