Antique print of Judgement Day - from Penn German Fraktur Collection?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 16, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I posted this here a while ago & I tried to find it again but I can't so I apologize for posting again but I think I found something new.
    When I first posted it I don't think anyone could find info on it, but I think Debora(?) was able to find that the printer was German and only in business during the mid 1800s (or 1700s?)

Not too long ago I found this image that closely matches mine (Drawing [Design] entitled "Die herabfunfe de Konigsallers" | Digital Collections (fandm.edu )

That came from this home page that describes the collection (I copied description from website below the link)

(Pennsylvania German Fraktur Collection | Digital Collections (fandm.edu)
    Pennsylvania German Fraktur Collection
    Description
    A component of the German American Imprint Collection, this collection contains fine examples of printed and hand-colored taufscheins (birth and baptismal certificates), vorshrifts (writing examples), haus segens (house blessings), bucherzeichen (book plates), and drawings created by Pennsylvania Germans. See the Frakturschriften Collection page for the collection inventory, a bibliography of printed resources, glossary of fraktur terminology, and links to other digital fraktur collections. During the digitization project, care was taken to indicate genre or type of fraktur, artist, scrivener, printer, publisher, family, date, and location information. In addition, artistic motifs and designs present on each fraktur were noted. The record for many of the Unger-Bassler frakturs also contain a unique alpha-numeric code derived from an earlier inventory. It is conjectured that these codes were assigned during the original processing of the Unger-Bassler materials in the 1950s. While no key to the inventory has been located, the codes have been included in the digital collection to maintain bibliographic consistency.

Is this mine? Could it be an original - I'm not sure because it's in such better condition that the one shown above - but I also found this image that appears perfect (and newer?)
    Messiah - Jesus Christ on white horse with sword on Judgment Day Stock Photo - Alamy

Any help would be appreciated - I've held on to this because I thought it might be something special, but I am selling some things through a auction house and was wondering if this is real & I should sell it in the auction (I need roof repairs!) and if it's not but just a newer copy then I'll keep it because I do like it.

Thank you for any help!

ART PRINT GOD KING GERMAN 1AA RESIZED.jpg

ART PRINT GOD KING GERMAN 2AAA resized.jpg ART PRINT GOD KING GERMAN 3AA RESIZED.jpg ART PRINT GOD KING GERMAN 4A_AA RESIZED.jpg
    ART PRINT GOD KING GERMAN 5AA resized.jpg ART PRINT GOD KING GERMAN 9AA resized.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Well it isn't perfect as there is foxing which would be expected. You really should remove it from the frame and hold it up to the light which can sometimes give you a good clue or even a watermark. I love the colors but how does it look under a loop.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

5. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

Your version of this image, first published in 1769, dates to the second half of the 1800s. Kurtz, the publisher, was active in Reutlinger, Germany, from at least 1847 to 1880. The image was apparently well-known and would have been published by any number of German printers and copied by hand by the artistically-inclined devout, such as the Fraktur Collection has. Such religious iconography was inexpensive and popular, but 'old-fashioned' by the twentieth century. We see similar styles in marriage and birth certificates around here, a heavily German-populated area, or at least we used to, not so many lately.

You ask if it's "real" or "original". It's real in the sense that it's an antique print, not a modern repro, as far as I can tell from your photos. It's not original in that it's a copy of an older work. As for demand, who can say? It's nicer than most of the sort that I've seen, but I don't have a good idea of the current market.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Thank you all )thank you moreotherstuff for finding original post!) - if it's not original & not terribly valuable I think I'm keeping this one; I like it!

7. journeymagazine

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted