Featured Antique Polish Jewellery- Maybe

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Maddy M, May 20, 2020.

1. Maddy M

Maddy M New Member

BA2B2286-382A-499B-9CC1-251DCC8D8308.jpeg 216FDA26-4144-4200-96B6-7B3BD11FBB68.jpeg 282AF635-48DC-4A87-AAF7-E87016BE751C.jpeg A3D665D3-0E16-4734-A195-ED6A137AAEEF.jpeg Hi everyone,
    I have spent a long time searching the internet for information on where these rings may be from/their value. I have not come across any solid information and I think it’s mainly because I just can’t get a good view of the marks. Im hoping with some photos of the rings and my thoughts, someone might be able to point me in the right direction! The rings previously belonged to an elderly woman from Poland. She has since passed away and gifted the rings to my nan. There are 3 marks on each ring. The marks are on the outside of the bands and one looks to be similar to a kokoshnik mark. It appears to be a Number 3, a head looking left and a ‘w’. I believe this could be a stamp from Poland (Warsaw) for gold? If so, what date would this roughly be? There also is a mark that looks just like a head. And another mark that I can’t really make out but possibly is some numbers and letters (14 IPU)?

If you could also suggest what the gemstone might be I’d really appreciate it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-5-20_1-34-59.jpeg

could you add more photo's here , instead of links ??

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  3. Maddy M

Maddy M New Member

Yes will do!

Attached Files:

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think you are probably right about the marks being Polish. There are other members, who may not be awake just now, who will give you better guidance on that. The larger, oval stone looks like smoky quartz. Love the pale green (it is green, isn't it?) one. The only thing I can think of that can be that color & have that degree of clarity is tourmaline. (I don't see it as being the right color for peridot.) Again, we have others who may have other ideas. Have to caution that we have no way to rule out glass.

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Retake a photo of the smaller stone off your finger and with a white background.When you post the photo choose "full image".

KSW, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

For now:

[​IMG]

KSW likes this.
  7. Maddy M

Maddy M New Member

Done. Thank you

8. Bronwen

Hmm. Now I can see the possibility of peridot, but tourmaline is still in the game.

[​IMG]

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It doesn't look vivid enough for peridot to me.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Maddy. Lovely rings.
    I agree with the possibilities of smokey quartz and peridot for the stones. I have seen this paler peridot before, and peridot often has a hint of yellowish in the green. Both could have been mined in Poland.
    Agree, Warsaw, Poland. If the head looking left is wearing a helmet, it is gold. The 3 would be for the third fineness, which in Poland is .583. Although not quite 14k, it is generally accepted as such. True 14k is .585, a tiny difference.
    According to the information I have, the left looking helmet man was introduced in 1963, before that time he faced the other way.
    Given the style, these rings could well be 1960s, although the peridot(?) one has an Art Deco look. The other one is a more classic style.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Maddy M, bluumz, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first thought was prehnite. It's cloudy like that, never clear, and the color is right.

Maddy M and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

And I'm seeing it as too clear for prehnite. Think it needs cleaning. Peridot & tourmaline are a lot more common in jewellery. Agree, though, that color is consistent with prehnite too.

Maddy M and Msalicia like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  14. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

Definitively Polish, 583/14K, 1963 - 1986, W = Warsaw assay office:
    PHM63.JPG

Maddy M, Any Jewelry and Fid like this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

thank you.