Antique police badge - help with listing please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I am trying to list this badge. I have a note that came with it, which has the last name of the officer who owned it. I'm not sure what to put in the title of the listing. Does named mean the name is printed on the badge? Is there another way to say I know the officer's name?

DSCF0858.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Book,
    Three years ago I posted an old police badge from a town that no longer exsisted
    and it was pulled due to Homeland Security. The same reason outdated railroad keys and such have been pulled. I hope you do not have that problem. I would find out which Lynn police force was it from. The item seems so familiar to me, did you post a question about on the e*** board?
    greg

3. Bookahtoo

I did post a question. I never did find out any of the details about it, although I tried and tried. Now I just want to list it.

4. Bookahtoo

Ha ha - apparently it was on this forum!

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I tried posting a Civil Defense badge from WWII. Because it said issued by Boston Police in tiny letters on the bottom, Ebay bounced it.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Lynn, Massachusetts?

7. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

I sold a Police badge several years ago on ebay without a problem. I do recall, though, that there had to be certain terminology used and I don't remember the details.

I notice many currently listed use the word obsolete and that very well may be what I had to say at the time.

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I didn't use the word police at all. It may have been reported

9. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

Here is a link to ebay's restrictions regarding Police items.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/police.html

I recall, now, that I had to do quite a bit of research about badges to make sure I met the criteria they required. Obsolete seem to be the correct terminology, if it meets the below requirements.

This is what they mention in that link:

US historical badges that meet both of these requirements:

The listing description clearly says that the badge is a historical piece that's at least 75 years old or was issued by an organization that no longer exists.

The item doesn't look like a current-issue law enforcement badge (for example, an antique sheriff's badge from 19th century Tombstone). If we have reason to believe that the item looks like a current- issue badge, we may remove the listing for public safety reasons.

Google "Vintage Police Badges" and there are some informational sites.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The font on that looks like it's circa WWI; it's too pretty to be much newer. I'd list it as an Antique badge and they probably won't give you any grief.

11. Bookahtoo

Bev - yes, it's from Lynn, MA.
    Thanks for the link Charlotte.
    Circa WWI? Sounds good to me!

12. Bookahtoo

Any guesses what this is made of? It is heavy and thick.

DSCF0865.JPG

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I wonder what eBay means by "US historical badges" -- ? Just that they are old, or do they mean they have to have a proven historical significance?

Do you know the age of this badge? It does appear to be pre-1940 (which would make it older than the 75 years in the rules).

14. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Looks like pewter.

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I were hazarding a guess, I'd think the pin and clasp were added after the badge was made. I've seen those clasps used in the 40s but the badge looks much older. The back looks like aluminum but the front looks like pewter. Your guess is as good as mine.

16. Bookahtoo

Does it look different with the flash?

DSCF0870.JPG

I'm just going to list it as is - I've had it sitting around forever and I want it gone. :mad:
    Can you tell I had a bad day? :grumpy::oops:

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If this is from the early 20th century, I would not expect it to be pewter. It is possibly silver or just as likely nickel silver if it doesn't tarnish much or at all. Suppose it could be nickel plated brass as well but the pics make me think it is solid.

18. Bookahtoo

Yes - I think it is solid.

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'd be tempted to offer it to the Lynn Historical Society. They probably have records of the family.

20. Bookahtoo

I've already listed it. :(
    It's one of the few things I have that I knew would sell if I put it up, and I need the money.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted