Featured Antique Pill Box - Help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Cereus17, Jan 12, 2024.

1. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

Hi, I’m looking for any information that the members here can offer about this little hinged pill box (its approximate age, country of origin, materials…).

I’m hoping that there are a few people in this group who are familiar with painted enamels / or with antique pill boxes who can guide me.

The box is about 39 mm in diameter (just over 1 1/2 inches) and it’s about 17 mm high (just over 10/16 inches). I think the metal bottom is made of chased brass. (Is that the correct term?)

My best guess is that the box dates from the mid to late 19th century and comes from Europe. (England? / France? / Austria?) Does that sound right?

I've searched Google Images and eBay for similar boxes but I didn’t find much information that seemed useful.

Thanks in advance for any information!

IMG_20240112_113903w.jpg IMG_20240112_102256w.jpg IMG_20240112_102310w.jpg IMG_20240112_102453w.jpg IMG_20240112_102411w.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be a snuffbox. I would guess continental Europe, and mid-19th C sounds plausible. Boxes like these frequently made simply as decorative pieces, any functionality being secondary. These and similar trinkets were the original use of the word "toy".

3. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

Thanks. I had the idea that it was too small to be a snuffbox. But if it's designed to be purely ornamental the size doesn't matter much.

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The hinged lid is what makes me suggest snuff. Depends on how securely it closes.

Bronwen and Cereus17 like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

WHat a pretty little thing. Id guess French,maybe a patch box ?

John Brassey, Bronwen and Cereus17 like this.
  6. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

It has a good snug fit.

Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like the metal part was cast from a mold,not chased or engraved.

8. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

I first heard of patch boxes today while researching this.

Gus Tuason and Bronwen like this.
  9. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

Interesting. I wondered why there was no seam.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Are the interior sides of the box straight, or do they also curve outwards?

11. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

The walls curve back inwards towards the top.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Cast with subsequent handwork? The exterior decoration could be chased. The overall pattern cast? There are lines there that look too crisp for casting to my eye, but I could be wrong. I'm trying to visualize how it might have been formed. I don't know enough about casting, but, if cast you have to be able to remove it from the mold and that's going to be difficult if the inside walls curve outward. Just a multi-stage process I guess. Maybe cast and then pressed?

13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Enlarge the 3rd photo down,you can see casting bubbles in the "chased/engraved" lines.

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

These look like bubbles:
    00000ca.jpg

And if you look at the pattern of dots on the inside: if it was handwork, they would be better defined.

But are you seeing tool marks here:
    00000caa.jpg

One thing that does bother me is the end of the hinge:
    00000ccab.jpg
    It not only looks sloppy, but it also looks bright.

Well... I don't know what to say.

Cereus17 and Bronwen like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The little fisher person is Psyche.

17. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

Thanks for pointing out the bubbles. I wouldn't have known how to spot them.

Re: the hinge. I spotted the ragged end when I photographed it. Looks like recent damage of some sort. Bought this on eBay fairly recently.

18. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

kyratango, Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  19. Cereus17

Cereus17 Member

Interesting! Do you know why Psyche is fishing? (For souls? For Love?) Don't know my Greek mythology. (But I had thought of this as an analog to Cupid's hunting with a bow and arrow.)

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  20. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Did anyone say Italian? The painting style makes me think Italian. Better quality than most souvenir stuff...that's all I got!

Cereus17 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted