Antique Pie Safe - best way to care for/ fix scratches?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rallen123, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Rallen123

Rallen123 New Member

Hi! I inherited my nana's beloved pie safe and would love some / any advice on how to care for it and fix some scratches (my cat tried to jump up and left some fairly deep ones on the top unfortunately). I was going to buy some wax but am not sure what kind of wood it is and don't want to do anything to hurt it!

My grandparents lived in Michigan and were antiquers and amateur restorers of furniture (just for fun). I believe this is from the late 1800s and they did some work on it in the 60s or 70s but then its been in heavy use in our family ever since and definitely shows the wear.

Any links on products or care help much appreciated! IMG_3918.jpg IMG_3914.jpg IMG_3913.jpg

2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Looks like pine from here. My advice - don't try to fix the scratches, but by all means rub on a layer of beeswax. Your piece is going for the rustic look, and the scratches just add to it being more rustic. It also looks heavily modified over the years - paint stripped, new screen and half-round muntins to possibly replace tin panels.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I concur.....with the birthday boy...........;):hilarious::hilarious:

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  4. Rallen123

Rallen123 New Member

Thank you very much! What's your favorite beeswax? I was looking at Howard Feed N Wax, Daddy Van's or Minwax?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good advice from Jeff. Honest wear.

Debora

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I only ever use old fashioned solid pure beeswax - lavender scented is nice though.

Draft saved Draft deleted