Featured Antique Paper Mache or wood Cup

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I don't know if I asked about this long ago. It's 5 1/4" tall and I thought it was paper mache, but there is a split in the base and it looks like wood. It's very light weight. Any info?

IMG_8070.JPG IMG_8073.JPG IMG_8074.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Sure looks like wood to me! The weight might just indicate that it's pretty dry wood.....nice colors on it!!! We know you travel/ed, so did you pick it up overseas???:happy:

IMG_8073-gigapixel-lines-scale-2_00x-cropped.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am getting a Russian vibe from it, but I could be wrong.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Was wondering about the paintwork and texture.Is it lacquered?

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Imo it is antique Khokhloma ware that has had a hard life. Khokhloma ware is lacquered wood from Russia.

There is a photo of an antique Khokhloma goblet like yours, that has the same heavy crackling, in this Shetland article:
    https://northernnousts.wordpress.com/khockhloma-ware/

The one from the Shetland museum:

1b9a1050.jpg

And a vintage Khokhloma goblet:

Etsy.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    kyratango, bercrystal, IvaPan and 6 others like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Old enough for the lacquer to crackle.

kyratango, IvaPan and komokwa like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

And on Shetland the sea air provides the salt that dries out lacquer. Maybe Bev's was also exposed to sea air.
    Whatever happened to it, made it into an intriguing little thing full of character.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    kyratango and IvaPan like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have a mask.......100 years old or more....with that crackle..

kyratango, IvaPan, all_fakes and 2 others like this.
  9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think maybe it was too close to a heat source.

IvaPan and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Maybe it stood on a mantlepiece in a small cottage.

IvaPan likes this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

We went to an estate sale years ago when my ex and I had a shop. The husband was a retired Admiral and they had traveled extensively. I got a couple of nice Imari vases, some antique cloisonne, Indian brass, etc. Most everything we sold in our store. I liked this cup and hung onto it. I also have a nice little cloisonne dish with a lotus flower motif inside. So, if it was in good condition it would be worth more than the $5 I paid for it! Looks like some are worth several hundred. That's ok. I still like it.

bercrystal, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

UPDATE: This is Khokhloma ware from Russia. It's still being made. The only cup like this I saw is in a Museum in Scotland and it's 18th century.

13. Any Jewelry

Bev, did your poor post-Covid eyes read my post #5?;)

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

No. I hadn't gone back to read posts. I found it on my own recently. Well, darn. All that searching and you'd done it for me. I think I was getting brain fog before Covid. This is our second round and it's no fun at all. This long Covid is debilitating. I haven't really let my family know how ill I've been because I don't want them to worry. My doctor said they can't predict how long it will last or the severity. My son had a stair chair installed after my ankle surgery and it's come in very handy because otherwise I have to stop and catch my breath after every few stairs going up and down.

15. Any Jewelry

:playful:
    You had a lot on your mind in those days, so many things to organize. In situations like that the brain starts to prioritize even if you don't want it to.
    Tell me about it.:rolleyes: I can't drive anymore, so even if I have the energy to go out (rarely) I am 100% dependent on others.:(
    It is one of those things that is different for everyone, so no one can tell you. I hope it won't take too long.
    Good that you already had a stair lift, I also had one long before Covid.

I had Covid in March 2020, and have had Long Covid since then.
    My lungs are getting better, there is a substantial difference with 2020. I have been using Chinese herbs, which helps.
    My eyes were damaged by Covid, blind spots and lens sclerosis, and that won't go away.
    My pre-existing brain damage was exacerbated through Covid, and I don't see any real improvement there. That could still come though, I have some 45 yrs experience with virus-induced brain damage.

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted