antique painting from the 1500s or 1600s - who is the artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by chantaljones, Jun 29, 2021.

1. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I can buy this painting. its described as being a painting on canvas (probably hemp canvas) and dating from the 16th or 17th century.

Any ideas on this or who the artist could be?

It was cut out from the stretcher and mounted on board.

these are the only pictures i can get.

its around 60cm by 40 cm

any help is welcome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bronwen and Bingamum like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Do you have a photograph of the back to post?

Debora

Bronwen and chantaljones like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It was cut out from the stretcher and mounted on board.

no..no...nooooo........me no like !!!!

Fid, Bronwen and chantaljones like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. chantaljones

no pictures of the back. not much to see there anyway because it was framed and has a modern back. you cant see the canvas. but ive seen it handson and can confirm that it was cut out from the stretcher and mounted on board and than framed in a modern frame from the 70s or 80s.

yeah i know what you mean. but we dont know the history of the picture. maybe the stretcher was rotten or such? who knows..

6. chantaljones

ow yes that looks a lot like it. interesting....

the picture you have shown states that its 18th century.

translated text:
    Ancient Painting Sacred Art 18th Century The Holy Trinity.

so i assume this picture was painting after the picture which we are researching?

Or is it just an image which was painted a lot trough history?

good find. Which search terms did you use?

7. komokwa

the 16th or 17th century.
    if legit....u restore...u don't glue to a board !!!!

8. komokwa

chantaljones likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Bronwen and chantaljones like this.
  10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Pictured below is a example that hangs on my wall. It was made in Mexico, it's a old style of iconography that continues today. Some are painted on tin and some on thick canvas.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 12.36.49 PM.png

Bronwen likes this.
  11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Well, no, unfortunately.
    The implication is that if the one you are researching looks a great deal like a known 18th century original, it is highly likely that the one you are researching is a relatively modern copy of the 18th century original.
    Personally, I'd want to know some answers regarding provenance: where has this painting been for the last 500 years?
    ...and How do we know it was not mounted on board to conceal the back, which might reveal the true age of the canvas?
    and ….Do we really know it was "cut from a stretcher" or is that just what we are intended to think?
    Those are the questions I'd think about before I believed it dated to the 16th century; also noting that canvas did not come into general use until the 17th century.

Jeff Talbot, Tanya, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This way of portraying the Holy Trinity seems to be native to Mexico after Christianity was well established there. I'm finding retablos with the same basic composition, dated to 19th century.

Is seller representing it as European Renaissance in origin? What, if any, documentation comes with the painting? Has it been cleaned or touched up in any way? So many questions. If seller cannot answer them, steer clear.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

"It was cut out from the stretcher and mounted on board"......WHY on earth would someone DO THAT if they were dealing with a 16th or 17th CENTURY ORIGINAL piece of ART???????:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: I'm afraid I couldn't/wouldn't touch it with a 100' pole!!! Sorry!!! But that IS just MY opinion!!

all_fakes, Bronwen, Fid and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted