Antique Painted Leather Pieces, Native American? Help ID!

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Eric Tipton, Aug 14, 2023.

1. Eric Tipton

Eric Tipton Member

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify what these are and where they may be from? I got them with a variety of other antiques in one lot at a small local auction, and I've just never seen anything like them before... I'm actually a dealer, but haven't been able to find something similar. They are definitely old, and they are hand painted on leather, or animal hide.. The old leather has hardened to a wood-like board. My best guess is that they are pieces to a Native American concho belt, but I can't find any like it! Each piece has holes around the edges, and one has remnants of old string or wool. They are rather remarkable, and definitely one of the most interesting groupings I have come across in a long time. Any idea what region they are from or how old exactly? Thank you all for any help!

Eric

Attached Files:

KikoBlueEyes and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Those are very interesting. In order for it to be easier for members to see, could you please go back and edit your post. Under More Options you will get your list of photos. On the top of that list, you will see Insert all as Full image. This will make your pictures bigger.

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Although two of the disks depict a Native American, the style of these and the other pieces is not Native American. One of the thoughts that came to mind was Scout badges of some sort, possibly from a European country (based on style of the images). Where are you located?

smallaxe likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To me, and I'm no expert on them, but they almost look like they're done on a fiber board type material.....IMHO!!

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think the dime says USA........which state..?

2manybooks likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. That was a clue.

komokwa likes this.
  7. Eric Tipton

Eric Tipton Member

Thanks for all the help and thoughts. I'm in western Massachusetts, so they are more than likely not from my area. Scout badges is an interesting idea, but I think they are bit too well made and ethnic to be that.

I'm fairly certain they are a type of leather or dried animal hide. A few months back, I had a little handmade trinket box made of the same material from the late 1800's, and at first I thought it was just some kind of pressed wood, but after some research I found it was indeed dried out leather.

The crow and sunface are definitely what threw me off the Native American idea... I can understand the sun, but not really the crow. My only other guess would be Mexican, but I'm still very curious to know what they were used for.

As for changing the pictures to a full image, I can't seem to find any edit buttons anywhere but I tried!

8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Edit. More options. Above all your photos click Insert All as full image.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the edit feature only lasts a few hours...

Draft saved Draft deleted