antique or modern medal

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Mar 23, 2024.

1. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Hello, i have bought this medal but afterwards i saw alot of them on the internet and you have good ones and cheap copy's old and modern ones. Which one is my medal. So is it old and what material is it because it has a high ringtone.It weighs 168 grams and measures 8 cm wide and 7 mm thick IMG_20240323_113844859~2.jpg IMG_20240323_113919850~2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  2. Rob Langdon

Rob Langdon Well-Known Member

Is it slightly magnetic?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  3. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

it does not atract a magnet

4. Rob Langdon

Rob Langdon Well-Known Member

From what I gather, the early ones were made of paramagnetic tin, and the modern ones were made of zinc.

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

oke, but do the tin or zinc ones have a high ring tone when you tap it. because mine has a high ring tone.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is there edge printing?

7. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

what do you mean by that?

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I have this medal:
    00000aaaaa.jpg

It has edge printing that gives the date:
    00000aaaa.jpg

9. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

moreotherstuff likes this.
  10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I see no reason why it is not genuine, the French struck many thousands of these types of medals in an array of different metals and alloys.
    In the UK, I can obtain Queen Victoria medals of the same style struck in gold, silver, bronze, lead, tin and other white metals, designed for affordability.

Jean-Baptiste Colbert, Comptroller-General of Finances under Louis XIV, held almost all of the great offices of state over the course of his career. Considered an accomplished manager, he was responsible for developing trade, industry and the merchant navy, modernising Paris, and backing new advances in the sciences

kyratango and hunt2 like this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

12. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From what I can glean, the oldest of these would not be antique. Bertonnier did not make it into Leonard Forrer's comprehensive Biographical Dictionary..., which collects medallists through the early years of the 20th century.

From the cgb site:

Ce genre de médaille semble relativement récent, mi XXe siècle ; ce serait en fait une médaille publicitaire pour la revue “Connaissances actuelles” offerte à ses clients en 1983 à l’occasion du tricentenaire de la mort de Colbert.

This type of medal seems relatively recent, mid-20th century; it would in fact be an advertising medal for the magazine “Connaissances nationaux” offered to its customers in 1983 on the occasion of the tercentenary of Colbert’s death.

For this particular medal?

14. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Oke thanks for all the info. And yes there are restrikes of this medal or fake ones

15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Not fake, fake suggests counterfeit, made to deceive usually for monetary gain.
    Counterfeiters would not gain anything for an item of low value.

Restrikes using the same dies has gone on for years.

Example, Maria Theresa thalers restrike from 1780 are still struck today.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted