Featured Antique or! Modern? Crystal Goblet

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KiwiSusan, Sep 8, 2024.

1. KiwiSusan

KiwiSusan Member

Hello, I purchased this wonderful goblet a few weeks ago and have no idea about it, but just loved it.. it stands 9.1/2 inches tall, could anyone tell me anything about it.

Attached Files:

2. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Hi there and welcome. If you edit your post and make the images full size, they are easier for people to see. Looks to be hand blown and pontil mark ground and polished out. The way the base is cut reminds me of bohemian, but a lot of similar german glasses coming up in results. Can't find anything quite like it. It's quite beautiful.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The costumes look Austrian or German to me, but it is difficult to see because the other motifs are seen through the couple. It is crystal, after all.;)
    I guess it was made for a wedding, but I am no glass/crystal expert. Let's wait for the others.

upload_2024-9-8_14-4-8.jpeg

mirana, komokwa, laura9797 and 3 others like this.
  4. Chinoiserie

Imagine having crystal glasses made for your wedding. Oh how the other half live.

KiwiSusan, komokwa, laura9797 and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is what's inside the glasses that counts.:wacky::playful:

6. Chinoiserie

I drink my grand cru out of a sock.

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Would help if you could roll up a solid dark colored piece of paper and put inside the goblet, then take more pics. Would make the design easier to see.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect it’s Theresienthal or a similar maker. Mid nineteenth.

9. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I just had to look up Grand Cru as I have never heard of it!

KiwiSusan, komokwa and Chinoiserie like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

did u also look up , sock ?

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:.......:shame:

Chinoiserie and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Neat goblet!

12. KiwiSusan

KiwiSusan Member

Hello Chinnoiserie, many thanks for your comment, I’m sorry I thought I had posted a full imagine, it’s the first one of three, is it not showing?..it is hand blown with a nice finished round polished pontil mark, and I have a German feel about it mainly because of the costumes and the foot, the foot reminds me of Baccarat but I’m pretty sure it’s not, nice if I was wrong....it’s actually at a friends in the UK and waiting for her to send on to me..and have been trying to find out about ever since I got it…thanks once again.

Chinoiserie, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  13. KiwiSusan

KiwiSusan Member

Thank you..

komokwa likes this.
  14. KiwiSusan

KiwiSusan Member

Hello Any.. thank you, I agree it does have a German feel to me also..

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  15. KiwiSusan

KiwiSusan Member

Many thanks, don’t actually have it yet! at a friends in the U.K. but excited about receiving it when she ships off to me.

Chinoiserie and komokwa like this.
  16. KiwiSusan

KiwiSusan Member

Hello sabre, it still is at a friends in the U.K. and as soon as she ships it to me I will get better photos done, it’s just that I have been trying to find out something about it ever since I purchased it..it has a German feel to me but not 100% about that as Bohemian I’d a good possibility too!

17. KiwiSusan

KiwiSusan Member

Thank you for your reply, I did look in that direction, lots similar but with different scenes, but it’s that foot that goes with it.. ??

18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would be inclined to call this a chalice rather than a goblet. However, a quick search using that term was not fruitful. I like AJ's idea of its being for wedding use. Maybe bride & groom each took a sip?

Chinoiserie, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  19. KiwiSusan

KiwiSusan Member

Thank you Bronwen, I agree about probably being a wedding goblet/chalice..didn’t think to research ‘chalice’ shall do so also!..I have a couple of wedding goblets..on the back of this one are a couple of musicians so very well could be too!.. thank you again..

20. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I did not - I did not understand sock but thought it was a saying. Now I will have to go look up sock!

Draft saved Draft deleted