Antique Mortar and Pestle

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Barn Owl, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

My first German thrifting find! Any idea of age or what's written on the label? 20180904_154408.jpg There is some unusual pitting on the piece. 20180904_154414.jpg 20180904_154421.jpg

2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Dimensions? Trunnions look applied vs. the usual integral casting. Photo of bottom? I see by your title that you seek to assure us it is antique, however I see no evidence of its antiquity. I’m guessing 10’s of thousands of reproduction M/P sets are churned out each year, my WAG based on the presence of large numbers of obvious reproductions in most of the sizeable antiques sales venues I visit.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  3. springfld.arsenal

Christmasjoy, Barn Owl and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, a reproduction.

Christmasjoy, Barn Owl and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Antiker messing Mörser, antique brass mortar.
    Which it isn't.:(

Christmasjoy, Fid and Barn Owl like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That mortar doesn't look old, but that pestle may have some mileage on it. Then again it may also just have been hammered - literally.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Barn Owl

Thank you! both appear to have heavy wear. The mortar is about 5 lbs and 5 or 6 inches tall.
    How can you tell it's a repro?
    20180904_154503.jpg 20180904_154538.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Barn Owl

I wasn't seeking to assure you of anything... My decision to include the word antique in the post was more thoughtless than planned.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  9. springfld.arsenal

No patina but no signs of having been polished either. With relatively soft brass I’d expect the bottom to be a lot more worn. The trunnions don’t seem to have any wear which they would have if ever used in the mounting the trunnions were there to fit. Lip is very thin yet no significant damage. As I already mentioned, the trunnions appear to be applied vs. cast. This mortar is very small to have trunnions which are usually seen on larger mortars because they were heavier and needed support from which they could be tipped and poured.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.