Antique metal peacock?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Dennis Tjaden, Feb 22, 2017.

?

Antique Bird

1. Peacock?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Other?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dennis Tjaden

Dennis Tjaden Old ball coach......

I believe this is a peacock, how old or where it came from is what I'm asking. I was WAY off on my last metal bird. This came from a box at an estate of a Turkish import/exporter. It had to be an ornament on the top of something judging by the threads at its base. I know it needs cleaned but I never know about "patina". DSC00170.JPG DSC00176.JPG DSC00177.JPG DSC00178.JPG DSC00182.JPG DSC00186.JPG DSC00187.JPG DSC00189.JPG DSC00190.JPG DSC00194.JPG

Thanks for this great site!!

2. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

Definitely a peacock. Really cool.. How tall, wide etc? That might help identify it's purpose. Good luck

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like it might be off a pooja lamp from India.
    greg

leeddie likes this.
  4. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

Dang you're good.

5. Dennis Tjaden

Here are some pictures for scale and measurements. It's about 4.5" tall and 4" wide. Thanks for your help. IMG_2701.JPG IMG_2704.JPG IMG_2706.JPG

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Ringneck peacock; distant relative of ringneck pheasant?

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a kohl container from Lebanon. I used to have one just like it, bought in Beirut. It is supposed to have a round base. The head comes off and is attached to an application pin, with which you apply the kohl to the inside of your eyelids. A risky business but Middle Eastern ladies are very good at it.

komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  8. Dennis Tjaden

Thank you! Googled this and found many that look just like it...... Do you know what is was made of and how old it is?

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I got mine in the 1960's, it was brandnew at the time. I think they are still making them in the Middle East. It is cast brass.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OK, I'll bite..........what is "kohl"????

Edit: Never mind....I just Googled it....YIKES...."always contains LEAD"!!!! Who in their right mind would put that near their eyes....NOT FDA approved!!

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Modern kohl is fine, it's been reformulated. If you can manage to use the stuff, it looks wonderful.