antique map c 1700

Discussion in 'Art' started by BirdsEye1578, Sep 18, 2024 at 12:17 PM.

1. BirdsEye1578

BirdsEye1578 New Member

Hello-
    I like to collect antique maps. I'm not sure if this is the right subforum or not, but am looking for thoughts on framing something.

The attached map is of three provinces of Netherlands and the North Sea. I am thinking a dark blue or almost black matting with a dark gold frame but am open to ideas.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sounds lovely, picking up the lighter blue. (You could also pick up the lighter pink and go with magenta but I think that would be a bit too much.) In the end though, only you know what will work with your decor. And a good framer will have a suggestion as well.

Debora

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I found the same map as yours online:
    maps.jpg
    I can experiment if you or anyone have/has more suggestions.

5. BirdsEye1578

BirdsEye1578 New Member

yeah sure actually, I'd like to not have the white matting and just show the patina on top of the dark blue

6. sabre123

It wasn't intended to be a white mat, just space around the perimeter of the map, but is this what you mean?

map2.jpg

Potteryplease, Boland and i need help like this.
  7. BirdsEye1578

BirdsEye1578 New Member

close but no. I want to consider showing the patina. It isn't damaged to the extent it needs repair or extensive covering, so I'm weighing whether to cover the damage or display it. The former will make it a nice wall piece that appeals to many, the latter would probably only appeal to people who like authenticity in maps when possible.

So, if you take a look at the attached this was a salvage piece I redid to cover the damage, so you don't see any patina. It turned out really well and maintained the original coloring without seeing the tears from the previous framing. So I'm thinking something like this but with dark blue matting and a gold to goldish brown frame.

Attached Files:

mirana likes this.
  8. sabre123

If you can take a pic of your map that shows the whole thing, and as square as possible, I'll put it in the mockup.

Potteryplease, mirana and Debora like this.
  9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Former(ish) framer here.

Do you mean a float mount on top of the mat, in order to show the complete edge of your map? That's certainly an option. It can be done with acid-free, museum mount tape, but I would strongly suggest you either mount it straight to a plain acid free white (undyed) museum-grade board as your full mat, or else have it mounted to that plain board, and then that board mounted to the top of the color mat (Or the color mat cut to frame the mounted map). You don't want any potential color transfer. Any frame shop you talk to can do this for you. They will also mount it in either a shadowbox or with spacers to keep the art from touching the glass.

Your other option is the mount in under a cut mat as normal, but if you don't want the white beveled edge to show, then you can ask for a "reverse bevel" to hide it. This mount style will hide at least 1/16 to 1/8" of the edge of your map.

I'm the first person to want the darkest mats on my art, but with antique prints it may be too much of a contrast to go very dark, given how their pigment is typically lighter. If darker is preferred, then match to the darkest darks in the piece (and they may not be that dark!). I think in this case a lighter or mid-tone might be best. Your framer can show you what the options are.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 5:16 PM
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

one inch oak frame , and a cream colored mat........

many ways to bring the map to life.....
    I find the gold and blue to rich......

sabre123 and mirana like this.
  11. sabre123

A half-assed attempt at Komo's idea...sorry brother, the oak frame is more work than I can put in atm.
    MapsCream.jpg
    Picking up a color in the map from Mirana's idea:
    MapsSage.jpg
    A floated version from Mirana's idea:
    MapsFloat1.jpg

Potteryplease, mirana and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the cream...but the green's not bad either..

sabre123 and Boland like this.
  13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Also prefer the cream..

Draft saved Draft deleted