Antique Lao textile.. silk or cotton.. age?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by finders, Feb 9, 2023.

1. finders

finders Member

I purchased this old textile at auction about 15 years ago. It was part of a lot of five or six all I believe of the same origin /age.. All or most have an old price tag attached and by appearance suggest they were purchased many years ago. Although I didn't know it at the time, I have since come to believe all are from, Laos. Although the base has the appearance of cotton, I believe it might be a form of Raw silk. I'm fairly certain the added decoration is silk. I would be interested in learning more about this textile to include likely age thanks!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2P5T1DL8SRZZxmc66

Attached Files:

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Most members won't click on an off-site to view images. You can upload them here, as long as they are UNDER 1 MB each! You can also, if using a cell phone, email them to yourself, which should make them UNDER the 1 MB limit.....but since you've been on the site for a while, I assume you know most of this....let us know if you need more help......!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    Debora and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I see images above. What I don't see are images of the back of the textile. It doesn't appear the least bit old to me, the embroidery looks machine-done, but all the real tell-tales are on the back of the piece.

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Silk fades fast, red fades fastest.
    The only hint would be if it was not stored in light.
    I agree with previous opinions of it's not old.

5. finders

finders Member

Photo of back of textile and photo of the old label.

Attached Files:

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, they are traditional Laotian. Laotian traditional 'sinh' skirts are of the same material. What size is your textile?
    I don't know if yours is antique though.

Tagging Indochina girl @kyratango .:)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    komokwa and kyratango like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wow the back looks beautiful.
    Must never have been out on display.
    Looks like silk to me, not cotton.

komokwa likes this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Wow, interesting! And your links seem very accurate, sadly, I have no background knowledge in Asian textiles and can't give any other informations:shy:.
    AJ, you are fantastic!:woot:

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks machine made to me, from the back even more than the front. As such, it isn't old. The back really does look like silk.

12. finders

finders Member

Many thanks to all for the thoughtful comments as well as recommended reading. For context I am attaching detail photos on two other textiles from the same auction lot. In response to AJ, the primary textile measures approximately 13" wide by 60" long. The other two textiles are just a bit larger - about 15" x 62". Thanks again to all. laos7.jpg laos8.jpg laos9.jpg laos10.jpg

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted