Featured Antique lamp - art glass tulip shades w/hammered base

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by laura9797, Dec 30, 2023.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Not sure what category this should go in? Iron hammered base with tulip form leaded and art glass shades. I saw similar shades on a Handel base but I cant find this base anywhere. There is some rusting on the feet. Pull chain sockets. Does not appear to be marked. Approx. height 28 in., width 14.75 in. IMG_3664.jpg IMG_3665.JPG IMG_3666.JPG IMG_3667.JPG IMG_3668.JPG IMG_3669.JPG IMG_3730.JPG IMG_3731.JPG

judy, Figtree3, verybrad and 8 others like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

judy, Figtree3, verybrad and 3 others like this.
  3. laura9797

Yes I saw that one when I did a google image search. Shades are definitely old as well. Such a neat lamp.

judy, verybrad and Bronwen like this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

If you plan on selling, you may make more parting it out. You could get very granular with the split, too. i.e. Shades, fitter rings, the double cluster with sockets, and the base.

judy, Figtree3, verybrad and 3 others like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that this is a marriage of parts. That base just really does not work with this.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

You can see at the top where the finial is that it was meant to hold a large shade.Those shades look homemade to me. The base makes me think 1920s.

judy and laura9797 like this.
  7. laura9797

The sockets clusters are Benjamin which would put it at 1920's. Makes sense that this is a marriage - the owner who passed away rebuilt cars and trikes, etc.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, that curved glass would be expensive to replace. Take care! I was given a lamp once with a glass shade something like that. My mother gave it to me, but also she gave it to my brother to do some sort of repair on it, and he accidentally broke the curved glass. I never figured out how to get it fixed (he had tried to glue the glass back together, apparently not realizing that won't work!). I had the broken lamp for a long time, and finally got rid of it.

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

A large glass studio that repairs antique lamps may have a suitable curved replacement piece, or you may have elected to replace all of the pieces with new replacement ones so that they match. Trying to find new pieces with the same curve is extremely difficult.

Unfortunately, broken pieces of glass are virtually impossible to repair and never look right when the attempt is made.

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, it was unfortunate. It was a pretty shade, although the base was nothing special.

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted